Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuts off while driving - Stalling

Thanks guys for you feed back on the PMD. I'll have a look at Kennedy diesel and Heath diesel. I just want something that works and not requiring too many modifications. I liked the concept of A1 customs which included the wiring harness which made it plug and play and bolted on the firewall. I also tried to email remarq (SOL-D) for more information and they never replied. I guess they don't need my money.
    96 GMC 1500 Z71

Hey EDDYS,

How has the A1 Custom PMD working out?

94blue.

Hi 94Blue

I have not purchased it. I was thinking about it but when I mentioned A1 customs on the forum I got a few negative feedbacks therefore I will wait on that. I started looking at Remarq (SOL-D) but not impressed with the reviews I read so far.
    96 GMC 1500 Z71

THAT'S WHY I ASKED,

I DID'NT SEE THE REVIEWS ON THIS BOARD DID I?

EMIAL ME IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT.

JAY@TRANSWORLDINCELECTRIC.COM

THANKS,

94blue

Just an update going on the second week with replacement PMD from the dealer. The truck runs fine. I was also impressed yesterday it was -26C and -38C with the winds. The balzer fired right up without being plugged considering it was parked for 24hrs. I never thought it would of started that easy. I usaully plug it when it's -18C and colder. I also got email back remarq and this it.

Thank you for your interest in our SOL-D Solenoid Driver. Here are the answers to your questions:

"How difficult is it to install and how long?"

The new batch of SOL-D, available in the later part of February, will have a Kennedy Diesel modified wire harness and coupling connector that makes a plug-and-play installation. Estimated installation time is approx. 10-20 minutes.

"Does it come with an electrical connector or do I have to splice the existing electrical wiring harness?"
    Please see the above response.

"Where does it bolt on?"
    The SOL-D is recommended to be installed on the driver side M8 bolts holding the Upper Dome of the air intake manifold. Please see the picture on our website.

"Can I mount the SOL-D in a different location (e.g. the fire wall)?
    If so is the wiring harness long enough to do so?
    Sure you can if you use and extension wire harness from Kennedy Diesel. We do not consider necessary to extend the wire harness. The longer the wire harness the higher the electromagnetic radiation (these devices operates in electrical pulses) and radio interference may be higher.

"How long has this Sol-D been on the market?"

The SOL-D has been in testing for over a year, and on the market for 5-6 months.

"What
    96 GMC 1500 Z71

Thumbs up

I just joined this forum to figure out what is wrong with my 6.5L and I am also having problems with it shutting off when I am driving. I took it to the dealer and they said I need a new fuel pump and lift pump! Does that sound right? It runs fine most of the time and, with my budget, would be pretty disapointed if it kept doing the same thing after I bought a new pump. I saw what Ranchman said about the DS4 Solenoid Driver (What ever that is) and check my recipt and it said "Code 35 stored in history" So I guess I will try and replace that thing first. Could someone tell me what the PMD/FSD is??

Go to this site.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/tt99-9.htm

This will help you get a better understanding.
    96 GMC 1500 Z71

Thanks I figured it out after a little more poking around the site. I changed the FSD and so far so good. Time to sell it I think. I tried to click on that link and my password didn't work?

Hi Skidoocam

My username and password are different when I log on to the member's list from the forum. Check that out in case yours is too. As for selling the truck check out the after market FSD and coolers out there first. That's the only problem I had with mine. Replaced it twice in ten years under warrantty. Can you give me your email I need to ask you something concerning ski-doos.

Eddys
    96 GMC 1500 Z71

Barry Nave Guest

I don't get this plug and play on the SOL-D.
    The SOL-D that came to me was a plug and play.
    And is running far better than any FSD I have went through.
    I know I have more power,less smoke.
    This talk about RemarQ just floors me.
    I've talked to C. Stan and Chris and they were two of the best guys I have dealt with on this SOL-D.
    Contact Tel 416-756-4890
    772 Gordon Baker Rd.
    Toronto, Ontario M2H 3B4
    Canada

Subject: Return of SOL-D unit. 12/10/2004 9:26pm
    Barry,

I am sorry for the delayed message. We regret the inconvenience and we will do our best to ship you a replacement unit early next week. Following the first failed unit sent for evaluation to the Diesel Page, we implemented an extended overstress burn-in test for all SOL-D units in house. Unfortunately, your unit did not go through this process, as it was shipped earlier. This new process created a significant number of back orders. we stsrted testing your unit with a higher priority,but this will not be done before Tuesday (we do cycle the temperature from low teens F to about 220-240 degF, while running the SOL-D at high load given by maximum RPM equivalent physically possible.) The procees is about double the effectiv 72 hours burn-in.

This weekend or at the lates on monday,we will send to Jim Bigley (for publishing) our investigation report about the three units we had received. we do not want to guess the failure mode of your unit,but the three failed units had the same symptoms and same cause. We want to be fair to all our ustomers and potential customers, in presenting the information from a single source and at the same time. Be rest assured that we will get back to you with our investigation report about your unit as soon as we have it available.
    C. Stan RemarQ

Subject: Re # 2 Driver

Thank you for your kind words Barry. It is very nice to have customers like you, that go out of their way to work with our company. We want to build not only a good, reliable product, but an excellence in customer service. Please continue to communicate with us as often as you fell necessary, providing us with feedback(good or bad) that will help us continuously improve.

It is our privleg to serving you and once again we apologize for the inconvenience the SOL-D failure has created. We will be replacing your exixting SOL-D with the latest manufactured one as soon as we will have them ready.
    Thank you for your business.

Sincerely,
    Chris. The cure is out

AS I have said my # 2 unit is one of a kind

[ 02-14-2005, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Bnave95 ]

I had the same thing on my 1994 GMC, it would stall under acceleration but then start right up. No codes were set. The problem was the inejection pump, dealer changed it under warrenty.
    1994 GMC light duty 3/4 ton 4x4 w/ 6.5L TD 3.73 gears, FSD Cooler, DSG Oil Cooler, 97 Cooling upgrades, 21" Duramax Fan, Kenneday Fuel Pump Kit, 3" Mandrel Bent Turbo Down Pipe, Marine glow plug timer, Boost and pyro gauges.

rjschoolcraft Guest

Originally posted by Iain:
    I had the same thing on my 1994 GMC, it would stall under acceleration but then start right up. No codes were set. The problem was the inejection pump, dealer changed it under warrenty.
    Read about stalling on this forum. It's very likely that your dealer changed the pump when all that was wrong was the FSD. This is the standard dealer approach.

By the way... Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome! I was lucky as I was just under the warrenty limit of 193000 km. I figured if they wanted to change it all out, might as well get a new pump in the process courtesy of GM. I did add an FSD Cooler kit so as to keep the FSD alive for years to come.
    1994 GMC light duty 3/4 ton 4x4 w/ 6.5L TD 3.73 gears, FSD Cooler, DSG Oil Cooler, 97 Cooling upgrades, 21" Duramax Fan, Kenneday Fuel Pump Kit, 3" Mandrel Bent Turbo Down Pipe, Marine glow plug timer, Boost and pyro gauges.

I am having a similar problem with my 96 Suburban It runs fine and stalls takes 20-45 minutes before restart is possible have noticed that the Glow Plug lite does not come on when the restart is attempted but it will flash several times when the system allows a restart it is not a PMD as I have replaced them twice during the last 3 months and when the failure does occur the PMD temp are at 60 -70 degrees F and no codes are showing up on the scanner. This problem has occurred when I start the truck in the mornings.Am I looking at a PCM failure or an ignition switch failure
    1996 GMC SUBURBAN SLE 1500 ,L-65 HO ,310,00KM<br /> K&N AIRFILTER,FSD COOLER W/NEW FSD,FAST IDLE,HOME BUILT HEADLITE BOOSTER,QUAD HEADLIGHT RELAY,RACOR FUEL FITER,DUAL REMOTE TRANSMISSION FILTERS,HEATH TURBOMASTER,NOT SO LOUD STRAIGHT THRU EXHAUST

rjschoolcraft Guest

Two things are most likely: ignition switch or glow plug relay.

Since yours is stalling first, it is most likely the ignition switch or connections for such. Check all of your grounds and connections (see This Article in the members area for more information), then check the switch.

I had a glow plug relay problem once that caused a no start problem similar to yours. The glow plug light would not come on and the truck would not start. Repeat tries would eventually get the light to come on, then the truck would start. However, this did not cause a stalling problem along with it. Therefore, I would first suspect the ignition switch.

Thanks Ronniejoe will check out wiring I have eliminated all other potental causes
    Thanks again
    Wayne Z
    1996 GMC SUBURBAN SLE 1500 ,L-65 HO ,310,00KM<br /> K&N AIRFILTER,FSD COOLER W/NEW FSD,FAST IDLE,HOME BUILT HEADLITE BOOSTER,QUAD HEADLIGHT RELAY,RACOR FUEL FITER,DUAL REMOTE TRANSMISSION FILTERS,HEATH TURBOMASTER,NOT SO LOUD STRAIGHT THRU EXHAUST

Marty Lau Guest

Originally posted by Eddys:
    Got the Blazer back from the dealer on Friday. Result like I suspected from the begining the PMD! I'm thinking of purchasing the remote PMD package from A1 customs. Has anyone bought anything from them?

later
    I asked about business refereces and phone and address for this guy and he refused to provide it. Also check out this guys return policy basiclly there is none. STAY AWAY FROM A-1.

Marty Lau Guest

Originally posted by Eddys:
    Hi 94Blue

I have not purchased it. I was thinking about it but when I mentioned A1 customs on the forum I got a few negative feedbacks therefore I will wait on that. I started looking at Remarq (SOL-D) but not impressed with the reviews I read so far.
    I don't blame you the SOL-D has not proven to be reliable yet. I went with the Heath PMD Isolator kit every thing you need and Heath Diesel backs it for 7 years and Heath has been working on Chevy Diesels since the 6.2 Diesel days and you can talk to Bill on the phone and his word is his bond. I first tried the Beta cooler which the A-1 is a knock off of. There are other options that may work.

Hi 16ga sxs

You bought the Heath PMD Isolator kit does it include a new PMD or just a heat sink and how long have you had it? As A1 customs I'm definetly not buying from them either. It's impossible to talk to someone on the phone over at A1 because they won't give out their phone number. I found that strange.
    96 GMC 1500 Z71

Marty Lau Guest

Hi Eddys;
    The Isolator kits comes with the PMD/FSD mounted on a the heat sink plate, 6 foot extension and mounting kit. I have had mine under 2 years and have 35,000 miles on it. Be sure to tell Bill your a Diesel Page Member and he MAY give you a discount. If you do a search for Heath you'll find out what the folks that have dealt with him feel about doing business. I think Heath and Kennedy are our two best 6.5TD vendors, they both stand by their products and are very helpfull. Both own or have owned 6.5TDs and their shops work on them regular. Hope this helps.

If you get the Isolator you can leave the PMD on your pump and use it as a spare so that if FSD/PMD on the Isolator craps out you can plug into the PMD on the pump till you get a replacement.