Thread: The Majestic "599" block, is it really a 599?

john8662 Guest

Here is a new one on me. I was being nosy at a local diesel shop in town. The mechanic had a 599 block torn down to the bare block sitting on the floor. No pistons, cranks, just open. I looked down into the cylinder bores and saw piston oil coolers. What!?!? I thought that was odd, looked at the casting number, yep, ended in 599 as well as the markings on the lifter valley. So, being confused, I dug around his shop and found another 599 block torn down, it didn't have the oil coolers.

Has anyone else ran into this? I think it might be a hummer thing, because this engine came out of a 1995 H1 Hummer (non turbo of course). But, it still had the 599 casting on the block, must have been an early early production engine (didn't last none the less). The engine was intact on the bottom end though, no cracking.

Just thought I'd share, I'll get pics next time I'm over there.

Arrow

There are two "599" blocks according to an AERA data sheet I have.

"Block 10149599 92-93 One-Piece R/Main Seal
    Block 14109599" (no description)

The first one is the one I'm familiar with.

MP

john8662 Guest

Oh ok, I'll get the casting numbers in full, I compared them in the shop but lighting was poor, I thought the whole number was the same. I'll post back tomorrow after another trip over. Thanks for the information MP!

JohnC Guest

Originally posted by More Power:
    "Block 10149599 92-93 One-Piece R/Main Seal
    Block 14109599" (no description)
    Looks like someone's a little dyslexic...

JohnC.... Yes it does..

For those not familiar with the "599", it was only produced in the 1992-93 model years, and appeared as both a 6.2L and 6.5L diesel engine. During those model years, both engines used the same block casting, crank casting, cam and rods. Finding a rebuildable 6.2 "599" is a great find. It can be bored to a std 6.5, due to thicker cyl walls. The Avants have been doing this very thing for quite a while, after scoring a fairly large batch of 6.2 599's from the USPS delivery fleet.

Our 6.5 Project engine is a 599.

MP

john8662 Guest

OK, I had to look, then look again, the block that had the oil piston spray coolers does have the 10149599 Casting!

So, it looks like the only true way to identify the "good" 599 is to make sure it came out of a 92/93 truck and to pull it apart or look at a date stamp on the block.

Here are the pics of the block...

Kennedy Guest

You are seeing the "exit wound" where the outer bolt holes came through. This is where they tend to crack beginning at the "parting line" where the block meets the cap.

If you flip the block and look at the main housing bore, you'll see either 1, 2, or 3 holes coming down. The center one is the feed, and the other(s) feed the spray nozzles. You can see it in this pic:

john8662 Guest

Thanks JK, they sure looked like the oil spray coolers, but these are just the outside bolts on the mains that were drilled too far. I'll look at the block cap and the oil holes under the bearing on the main web to see how many holes.