Thread: Web cracks?

Default Web cracks?

I Just got myself a pick n pull 6.2 from a 88 van, half price. I pulled the engine, because i have yet to see a junk yard 6.2 as clean as this one, and am looking to swap a 6.2 into a 74 suburban. The motor looks brand new inside. i doubt its got much more than break in hours on it. It had been rebuild in the very recent past. But closer inspection when i got it home found a couple small main web cracks. If i was going to rebuild it, i would look for a new block. But as this one is complete and apparently fresh, even the alternator, IP, everything, i would like to run it as is. I also found at pick n pull, banks exhaust manifolds, and the intake piece, but no turbo. I wanted to run it turbo'd. The engine is going in a 74 1/2t suburban that will never tow more than a sand rail trailer, and see less than 5000 miles a year. Should i just run the motor? Ive done alot of research, but im new to the world of 6.2's.

My answer would be no. Whether a 6.2 6.5, 911, 454, whatever....never put a cracked block into something you plan on driving. I bet a competent machine shop/engine builder of any flavor can square you away for a nominal sum. Think of it this way: How would you feel if you had to watch your buddies tear up the sand dunes because your rig was 25 miles away with its hazards on?

my 2 cents,

Charles
    www.youtube.com/dieselsailor
    94 Sub 2500 4X4, 130k 3.73,19.5mpg hwy 12.5mpg tow,oil/diesel leaks fixed,(3-07),ES9000 Pro Comp Shocks!(4-07),amplifier on order!(4-07),New Lift Pump!(5-07),Ram-air/cold air intake!(5-07),Optima Red tops! (5-07),0 gauge battery/alternator custom lines! (6-07),New condenser & harmonic balancer (7/07),New rims and tires-265/75/r16! (7/07),Sound system done! (8/07),Alternator blown from sound system (8/07),160 amp alternator on order!

Planning: cooling upgrade, 4" exhaust, injectors, tow chip, triple gauge pillar, and gps in-dash.

I would say you should rip everything good off of and out of that block and find another chunk of iron to stuff it in.
    If there are cracks in the block its not if it will break but when.

Dont chance ruining a good set of pistons, rods, crank, cam and so on.

I have seen the catastrophic results when these engine come unwrapped.
    Many times there is very little good left to salvage.

Good luck and sorry to hear the bad news

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Well, im not too worried about it, i payed $75 for the complete engine, Fan to Flexplate, all accesories, With banks Turbo intake and exhaust pieces. Might just have to sell the banks parts, and take the rest back for credit twards The TBI swap parts and 5 speed instead. Or just sell any useable parts off it. Figured At $75, i think i can get my moneys worth back out of it in parts.
    Dont know why someone whould have rebuilt it with a bad block, And the pistons and bores look to have so few hours on them, i doubt it was run long after the rebuild.