Thread: '91 Suburban, Flashing brake light

Default '91 Suburban, Flashing brake light

Hey folks,

Got a question that I couldn't find an answer to from searching the forums. When I bought my Sub, the brake light was always on steady. Previous owner put a piece of electrical tape over the light to cover it up. I had planned to investigate it until recently when the light started to flash. It now flashes six times and is on steady for a moment then flashes again, then repeats. Any thoughts on this? I know it does have the rear ABS, could there be something goofy with this?

Thanks for the help.
    1986 Chev K20
    350 Gas, future 6BT Cummins project
    "Built Like a Mack Truck"

There very well could be an issue with the ABS system.
    I dont have a book on that year but someone here is going to have the answer.
    Also there could be an issue with the pressure differential valve also.

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Thanks Robyn for the reply. Sorry for the late response, been very busy. Anyway, I figured it has something to do with the ABS system, just not sure exactly what. I wonder if there is a way to defeat the system entirely since it isn't really a necessary item anyway. Now suddenly another problem has popped up. All of my dome lights have decided to no longer work. The fuse seems to be ok...gonna take some investigating.

Cole
    1986 Chev K20

My 1990 S-10 did the same thing and it was a bad ABS solenoid. The flashing means it is giving you the code - apparently that happens when you leave the fault alone long enough (though I don't think it is supposed to). I fixed mine by unplugging the ABS computer since the rear wheel ABS never worked all that well anyway - a little black tape around the connection (not plugged in) keeps it close to the computer and clean and still passes inspection. There are codes for the ABS faults, but the easiest way to see if it is the ABS is to first unplug the harness and if the light goes off and stays off you have your answer, now if you want to fix it you have to read the codes from the flashing light. I cannot recall the codes off hand but I think they were in my factory service manual.
    Bryan Lundquist
    Bangor, ME
    1998 Suburban 2500 4X4 with optimizer 6500 engine (4/07) with battery modification, remote mount FSD cooler (behind bumper), 285/75/16LRE BFG All Terrains (going to 4" backspacing wheel required 1.25" lift), AFE air cleaner, Stewart Warner Maximum Performance EGT, Boost and Trans temp gauges, 3->4" stainless exhaust, Rancho RS9000xl shocks, LEDs in all exterior lights.
    2005 2500HD crew cab 6'6"bed with 6.0L no mods yet.
    2010 2500 Suburban - couldn't wait any longer for a duramax.
    Also 1978 Chevy Blazer 350cid HD engine with Fisher plow; 1988 Suburban

Thanks Bryan, That was my next step. I figure the rear ABS probably doesn't work right anyway so it might as well be unplugged. We don't have to worry about inspections here in MN anyway.

Cole
    1986 Chev K20

Could be a ground, I dont know which style of rear door you have but I have an older hatchback gm that had a faulty ground for the rear defrost, also runs the third light, the light would lite up anytime the key was in the on position. I found and fixed the faulty ground and it works as normal.
    93 GMC Sierra 2500
    6.5L TD 5 spd Manual trans Sold

97 Chevy Silverado CrewCab K3500 Dually
    6.5L TD Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Supertrucker View Post
    Thanks Bryan, That was my next step. I figure the rear ABS probably doesn't work right anyway so it might as well be unplugged. We don't have to worry about inspections here in MN anyway.
    Might not have regular inspections, but get into an accident and have some lawyer poking around and it all becomes your fault.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold