Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Simon, any more info about "new" block?

Default Simon, any more info about "new" block?

Just wondering if you have verified that you were looking at the the new 6.5 block with the different alloy composition? I think it's molybdenum that's added to the metal?
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

Here is what I found out Today

the supplier claims the blocks are the latest genuine 6.5 AM general , and they have been selling them for 5 months now.

The heads are made in china,and are claimed to have the same metal composition as the aM general heads. They have been selling them sinds 2004. And they say they had no problems with them so far.
    This outfit assemble these engines as well in shortblocks, longblocks and complete drop ins, Using original GM parts .

My local machine shop "where I have seen one of these blocks" did some investigation, and found out that the these Blocks are made in china as well.
    Apperently under licence of AM General??? Mayby All of them are made by our yellow friends??
    What I don't know is where this shop is getting these blocks from, they would not say. they want $ 2000.-for it

There is one other supplier I contacted, He sells only longblocks $ 6500.-CND and says they come from azia as well.

Starts a guy wondering as to what is what. Now I am more confused than ever.!!!!!!!??????
    98 GMC sierra 2500 ext cab 4x4 auto tr 6.5 td 252000 km. needs new engine, next project
    95 GMC sierra LE 2500 ext cab sh box 4x4 auto tr 6.5 td 328.000 km. my wife's truck .remote pmd on cooler
    89 GMC sierra SLE 1500 ext cab 4x4 auto tr 6.2 720000 km engine swap at 665000 km because of broken oil cooler line. 6 bolt wheels.
    Waldon wheelloader repowered with a 6.2 na

Arrow

Navistar has a foundry in China??? Interesting.

I'd be very suspicious of the claims made by that supplier. Not suprised, though. They may be of good quality, but not genuine AM General.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I would guess that china is just marketing them now just like the heads. I would skip them unless it's what AM General is doing and selling.
    E Mail AM and see what they say
    1998 6.5 2500 4X4 dynatrac pro 60, ARB, 35"BFG's
    06 D Max Express 5"MBRP EFI live

Arrow

International Casting Corp in Indiana is producing the cylinder blocks and cylinder heads for AM General. International is the foundry that produces the castings used in the Navistar/Ford diesel engines.

The Chinese castings are knock-offs, with an unknown alloy, design and quality control. Personally, I wouldn't touch them...

I fear that in the coming years, we'll be inundated with more horror stories that compound the cracking/durability problems we 6.5 owners have had to deal with, concerning the 90's GM castings. The International castings are the way to go. I've talked at length with the guys at GEP (AMG's engine plant in Ohio) about cracking, and they assured me the cracking problem seen in the GM castings is behind us (at least when using the International castings with the new alloy and design).

Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 04-02-2007 at 15:33.

Somethings rotten in Denmark...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Denmark is in China, now?
    jd
    '96 Dodge 3500HD cc 2wd drw............'89 GMC 3500 cc 4wd drw
    5.9 12v #10TST 6sp SBC13-1.375.......6.5TD EFI maxEtorq v2.0 DSG
    DODGE makes it CUMMINS shakes it.....4L80E 205 4.10 Dana60\70HD
    6 in a row makes it go.......................Grandpa's big truck

I got wind of the Chinese casted blocks as well.

I agree with what's already said, they're knock-off and are NOT the same quality as the AM General block.

I'm still shocked that companies can cast blocks and heads and other componets and sell them in the States without proper licensing and there are NO reprocussions.

Seriously, would AM General actually grant rights for a Chinese Foundary to cast blocks? I seriously doubt it...

Crack a Chinese head (cylinder head, haha) or crack a knock-off block and see who stands by the product. None will!

Where does this B.S. Stop?

I'd like to see one of the knock-off blocks in person compared to an AM General block to compare them, so that the information will be out there to share with how to identify one of them (to steer clear).

Heads included...

J

Weighing them would give a clue maybe.
    1998 6.5 2500 4X4 dynatrac pro 60, ARB, 35"BFG's
    06 D Max Express 5"MBRP EFI live

I am aware of what it takes to get castings from China, and have worked with people whose jobs are to ensure casting quality that have went there to source castings from them (part of doing business there means some content had to come from there).

The jist of the story is it takes a significant money and time investment to get quality castings from there, not something that happens very quick, so beware.
    350k+ miles of 6.2/6.5 experience

Angry

thanks for the input about this block issue.

I will be going to that machine shop and see of i can get some close visuals of that chinese block "measurements and such" this week.
    This block did not come from the outfit posted below, but can be fake as well.

The outfit that sells these so called Genuine AM General blocks is

www.rj.performance.com in Calgary AB.

So check it out for yourself

But how can I tell the diff between the real and the fake as I have not seen a real AM block yet.

i'll post again
    98 GMC sierra 2500 ext cab 4x4 auto tr 6.5 td 252000 km. needs new engine, next project
    95 GMC sierra LE 2500 ext cab sh box 4x4 auto tr 6.5 td 328.000 km. my wife's truck .remote pmd on cooler
    89 GMC sierra SLE 1500 ext cab 4x4 auto tr 6.2 720000 km engine swap at 665000 km because of broken oil cooler line. 6 bolt wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by simon
    thanks for the input about this block issue.

I will be going to that machine shop and see of i can get some close visuals of that chinese block "measurements and such" this week.
    This block did not come from the outfit posted below, but can be fake as well.

The outfit that sells these so called Genuine AM General blocks is

www.rj.performance.com in Calgary AB.

So check it out for yourself

But how can I tell the diff between the real and the fake as I have not seen a real AM block yet.

i'll post again
    Are they marketing them as genuine AM General blocks? If so just ask AM General if they are a reseller. If not I'm sure AM General will take it from there. I suspect AM General did a lot to overcome the bad reputation of the GM block and would not be too happy about a knock-off block selling itself as genuine or cracking down the road and tarnishing what good reputation AM General has worked so hard to get. I've emailed AM General a few times. They are nice people and will return your email or phone call.

Art.
    Art Paltz
    1999 Suburban K2500 6.5TD (stock)
    2000 Undercover Dragster, 468 BBC, 7.74@173MPH, waiting on new 622 aluminum BBC to be finished.
    1992 Tube Chassis Camaro, 468 BBC, 8.54@157MPH (SOLD)
    1987 Buick Grand National, 11.8@114, pump gas (for sale)
    1969 Camaro SS/RS 396-350HP, stock restoration, it never leaves the garage...

Hi
    Just wanted to let you know about a outfit i delt with in Calgary that called themselfs R J Brake and Diesel on ebay.
    I bought what they advertised as NEW OEM 6.5 injector's.
    They came in cheep cardboard box's,just like all the one's you see laying in Walmart with Made in China all over them,nothing like Delphi,GM or Bosch on them.
    The injectors would not fit in one head.
    They were very rude about a refund and untill i threatened getting Ebay involved,then they sent part of my money back,but saved some for themselves.
    I did write a post at the time with all the details if you want more.
    At the time the BBB in Calgary had more compailnts about them.
    Be Very Carefull if they are the same company,i wouldn't buy anything off them,wouldn't matter what it was,or if i seen it in person,once they have your money that's where their interest in you as a customer end's
    Good Luck
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Hi
    I just looked into my records and want to add..
    Ebay Name was R J Diesel and Brake
    Business Name is R J Performance
    In this case Buyer be Very Aware
    I belive you can read a few posts on here about them,Kennedy and a few others have delt with them,once only i belive.
    Phone # for BBB in Calgary is 403 517 4222
    Once again GOOD LUCK
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon6.2
    Hi
    Just wanted to let you know about a outfit i delt with in Calgary that called themselfs R J Brake and Diesel on ebay.
    I bought what they advertised as NEW OEM 6.5 injector's.
    They came in cheep cardboard box's,just like all the one's you see laying in Walmart with Made in China all over them,nothing like Delphi,GM or Bosch on them.
    The injectors would not fit in one head.
    They were very rude about a refund and untill i threatened getting Ebay involved,then they sent part of my money back,but saved some for themselves.
    I did write a post at the time with all the details if you want more.
    At the time the BBB in Calgary had more compailnts about them.
    Be Very Carefull if they are the same company,i wouldn't buy anything off them,wouldn't matter what it was,or if i seen it in person,once they have your money that's where their interest in you as a customer end's
    Good Luck
    Thomas
    How long ago was this? I had some of the same injectors from them with the same issues. They said send them back. We sent them and they were refused. They ignored my requests for refund. They made subsequent sales calls to me trying to peddle these things and I mentioned this BS several times before they finally agreed to send replacements. The old and new ones are still here to the best of my knowledge...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Hi Kennedy
    bought them July 05, returned them Oct 05,they were in thier hands for 2 weeks when i started getting on thier case about a refund,they refused to admit they had them.Had to get all the tracking info from Canada Post,and threaten getting ebay involved befor i got any money returned,still ended up about $45.00 out of pocket.Mabey this a Canadian version of Steak Sauce?
    Thomas

Hello all, I am a new member here but have owned GM diesels since 86. I just have to speak up in regards to this company RJ Performance. Stay away!!! They are arrogant buggers that overcharge for inferior products. I went into their office one day just poking around asking questions and they gave nothing but attitude, when I asked some directed questions about blocks and heads they blew me off and basically said get out. I urge everyone to steer clear of this company. diesel products are expensive enough here in Canada but to be screwed by cheaply made products and not have the vendor back them exaggerates the problem. So in summary STAY AWAY FROM RJ PERFORMANCE!!!

Angry

Latest info regarding AM General bare blocks.

I just got an email from AM General sales department today.

They said that there are no bare blocks or other component available to the civilian public or anyone else at this time. No reason given. WY NOT??????

Only complete longblocks are made available to GM dealers and a few others.

They said
    Any bare block offered on the marked today are used blocks or imperfect blocks intended for the scrapheap, that somehow evaded their destiny, or the blocks from chinese origin.[ they are well aware of that]
    AM General claim they have not autorized anybody to produce these engines under licence either.

So there you have it.

Simon,

Good investigative work, but this has been known and has been posted here before. The reason there are none is because they have an exclusive agreement with Franklin Power Products as a distributor. Franklin is in the engine remanufacturing business. In speaking with both AM General and Franklin in 2005, I was told point blank that making these blocks available to the public would undercut their remanufacturing business.

It comes down to money...

Arrow

A few custom distributors have these blocks. I know of none supplying anything short of a long block.

www.peninsulardiesel.com (TDP advertiser) has them. Still, only long blocks and custom builds. Careful, though....They're proud of 'em.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com