Thread: LLY Owners with Boost Stick--MPG'S

Default LLY Owners with Boost Stick--MPG'S

I did two 60 miles tests on cruise at 70mph. Using the DIC, I got 18.5 without the boost stick installed. 16.0 with the boost stick installed. Truck empty both ways.

Questions:

Does the boost stick affect mpg's this much?

Does the boost stick affect the DIC and I am not really getting this low mpg's?

Yeah, I like the power, but not that much at $3.20 a gallon.
    2005 2500 D/A Ext. Cab 4x4 SLE LLY- Edge Juice w/Attitude and Predator. KN Cold Air intake, 5" exhaust, Kennedy Boost Stick

I have the 04 LLY with Edge/Attitude with the boost stick. Mileage does not seem to be adversly effected. The boost stick cleaned up the added smoke/fuel in the exhaust added by the Edge/attitude. A nice combination. bob....................
    Bob O.
    2004 K2500 DA LLY CC LT LB Wow! Edge w/A + BS + CAT pre fuel filter, 06 air box,
    2002 C6500 EC. 7.2 Cat NoMar rollback/ 92 C7500, 7.2 Cat, 25ton No-Mar / 2005 C5500 D/A rollback / 1969 Corvette 350-350 4spd AC T-top stock orginal
    XP850LE WOW nice ATV, 09-550XP hers, 03-Predator, 04 Honda400EX, 05-Banshee, 08-KTM525, 08 KFX700, 38' enclosed GN hitch

The boost stick was designed to make up for the shortcomings of some of the lesser tuners/chips etc. It is a band aid fix that is what it is. It adds boost, improves response and power, and reduces EGT. You also want to be sure that your EGR is non functional.

When I do a custom tune I add boost in key areas. The key to MPG is to know when and where to put the boost.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

I have a question for John. I just installed the fingers stick and blocker plate on my 06. Now when I romp on it, it will blow a puff of smoke. Pickup is stock other than straight exhaust and AFE stage II intake. Will there be a boost stick available for the 06 at some point?
    2006 GMC 2500HD extended cab longbox with 6 speed manual tranny, AFE stage II Intake, BD exhaust manifold, 5" Straight exhaust, EGR blocker plate, boost and pyro gauges, decals removed, otherwise stock except for added chrome.
    2001 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 gasser with NV4500 with over 100K on the clock, dual 3 inch straight piped exhaust, custom intake, chip.
    1985 Chevy half ton 4x4 silverado, Caterpillar yellow 6.2 diesel, Dual straights with 4 inch tips. Connected to a NV4500 with the mechanical clutch linkage. Started life as an automatic.......350,000+ on the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    The boost stick was designed to make up for the shortcomings of some of the lesser tuners/chips etc. It is a band aid fix that is what it is. It adds boost, improves response and power, and reduces EGT...
    ...and don't forget, reduces economy, increases turbo rpm by 12000 rpm, decreases compressor efficiency, increases CAC heat load, as well as decreasing turbo longevity. A small price to pay.

6.6turbo, if you want better economy at low load cruise, you have to decrease boost from stock. Increasing it is merely a waste of air, which is already at a surplus at 0 psi of boost, no load.

The good news is, your truck will warm up faster in the morning.
    Michael 04.5 SRW LLY

custom stock intake, upsized boost tubes, Pre-turbo WMI, EFILive custom tune, Aerotech Scan Gauges.

Go Smokeless!

Believe the expert above. If you want 30mpg he can get it for you.

Seriously, I'll be the first to tell you that the band aids are not the way to go and that my Kennedy Custom tuning is what I suggest. The Boost stick does just what it claims. Adds boost, power, and reduces EGT
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.

so you are saying building boost on the highway will reduce my mpg?
    02 lb7 two stage k&n with afe filter, thermo tech, hot edge with attitude, 75 ddp injectors, ats protorque propane, bd manifold, mbrp, ats waterboy, 150 fass, tie rod end sleeves

Quote Originally Posted by farmertracks View Post
    I have a question for John. I just installed the fingers stick and blocker plate on my 06. Now when I romp on it, it will blow a puff of smoke. Pickup is stock other than straight exhaust and AFE stage II intake. Will there be a boost stick available for the 06 at some point?

The Boost stick has been used by many on the 06 models with good success. My own personal preference is to take care of the boost with tuning. The blockers, and sticks are band aids that we can cover in a good tune.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

Quote Originally Posted by linchhummmer View Post
    so you are saying building boost on the highway will reduce my mpg?

If you ask a variable turbo for too much boost at a particular load it can decrease efficiency as the turbo "tightens up" trying to meet your demands. When the Boost Stick was developed, this was taken into account, butit's still no substitute for a good tune. Most of the off the shelf stuff doesn't touch the turbo.

On my own VGT trucks I do not run band aids. It's all covered in the tuning. Since most of the aftermarket doesn't do boost, our Boost Stick is needed by many to reduce EGT's.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner