Thread: Exhaust & Intake on LLY

Default Exhaust & Intake on LLY

Hi I'm new to the forums. I was wondering if it was worth it to put a cat back exhaust system and a cold air intake on my 2005 LLY. Is there much of a performance, towing and MPG gain without using a tuner. Thanks

Thumbs up

I have 2005 LLY also.I have changed the driver side exhaust manifold.Added a Banks ram air and monster cat back exhaust.I did notice an increase in power when pulling heavy loads.But no real change in fuel economy.
    Then I bought the Sun Coast 6spd upgrade for the Allison.That made a measureable increase in fuel economy and a nice quiet daily ride.
    If I were to do it over again? I would change driver side exhaust manifold and install the 6spd. upgrade.I have also changed all fluids to Amsoil Syn.which I would recommend.Good Luck!

I would put more stock in a full exhaust system. The intake will not give great gains. I have a mod that I do to the OE air box on my site under Tech Tips. I wouldn't bother with a cat back exhaust.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich45 View Post
    Hi I'm new to the forums. I was wondering if it was worth it to put a cat back exhaust system and a cold air intake on my 2005 LLY. Is there much of a performance, towing and MPG gain without using a tuner. Thanks

Yes, for towing, a good CAI makes a significant difference in any scenario where the fan comes on frequently. Now see if you can find one that works to keep air temp under control. That is the problem. With IAT's exceeding 220 on the LLY, air density is easily decreased 20%, and turbo efficiency flies right into the toilet, leading also to high EGT.
    Michael 04.5 SRW LLY

custom stock intake, upsized boost tubes, Pre-turbo WMI, EFILive custom tune, Aerotech Scan Gauges.

Go Smokeless!

...especially if you live in Arizona.

Not so much in Minnesota. We have alot more cooler air to burn, and lower pavement temps yearround.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K