Thread: Dark Antifreeze?

Exclamation Dark Antifreeze?

IVE JUST REPLACED A WORN OUT 6.5 WITH AN 02 DURAMAX AND LOVE IT. MY CONCERN IS THE ANTIFREEZE RESERVOIR HAS A DARK RED ANTIFREEZE IN IT, AND NOT THE ORANGE-ISH RED DEXCOOL. HAS ANYONE SEEN THIS BEFORE? THANKS.

Most Dex-Cool I've seen was somewhat orange to pinkish to red. You could contact your dealer, and have them provide the warranty history to see whether there was any previous service work that involved opening the cooling system. If it was done at a GM dealer, you can be reasonably assured they used the right stuff.

Here's a pic I shot a few years ago comparing Dex to Prestone.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by KBBEAS View Post
    IVE JUST REPLACED A WORN OUT 6.5 WITH AN 02 DURAMAX AND LOVE IT. MY CONCERN IS THE ANTIFREEZE RESERVOIR HAS A DARK RED ANTIFREEZE IN IT, AND NOT THE ORANGE-ISH RED DEXCOOL. HAS ANYONE SEEN THIS BEFORE? THANKS.
    Had that on Ma's 98 Blazer V6 gas rig. Started looking like red clay building up in the system. Drained and flushed the system. Cleaned it using instant tea. Replaced the ageing Dex-cool with new and DISTILED water. Fill completely. Air in the system is supposed to cause problems, so can impure H2O. Just don't use pre-sweetened instant tea!
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Thanks For The Info. Ill Contact My Local Dealer And Check On Waranty Work, Then Ill Flush And Refil. Cooling System Is On Its 5th Year Anyway.