Thread: Glow Plug Wires Question

DennisG01 Guest

I found out that the wire going from the glow plug controller to the #8 plug was bad. I replaced it with some wire I had. I'm figuring that the other wires probably aren't far behind, though. Those of you that have replaced the wiring harness:
    - Did you buy an actual "harness" from GM ($80 plus $30 for the two quick-connects for #'s 4 & 6), or just get fusible link wire from some place like NAPA? What gauge wire? (can't read it on my wires)
    - What about those metal tubes for #4 & 6? What is that for? How do you remove them? Any problems if I shorten them? The tube around #6 comes very close to the downpipe.
    - Why does soot gather on the plugs on the passenger side?

I know, alot of questions! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

MTTwister Guest

Partial answers -

Tubes for 4 + 6 - They are there to help keep the wires away from the exhasust manifold - provides some sort of barrier.

There are 2 nuts (ea) - on the exhaust manifold that hold the tubes in place - easily seen when you remove the right inner fender splash shield.

Can't really help you on the glow wires - didn't look like any special to me.

Barry Nave Guest

The glow plugs wire look to be of a braded type that can with stand the heat and not melt.
    GA. size looks to be around 14. Maybe 12ga but don't think so.
    12ga would make sence seeing how many Amps each plug pulles.

DennisG01 Guest

Thanks, guys. I think I'll order the parts from GMPartsDirect rather than making my own harness. If I made my own harness, I'd have to make sure to get fusible link wire and i'd still have to buy the quick-disconnects and the connectors. PartsDirect has it for HALF of what the dealer charges!

The wires are protected by a fuseable link as a bundle. One bundle for each side shortly after the glow plug controller. After the bundle I would think that the wire can be regular automotive wire as long as the guage is the same? I am sure that the spade ends are nothing special.
    Charlie P. <br />95 Tahoe 6.5 TD

Barry Nave Guest

regular automotive wire -
    Such a type that can with stand the heat,mainly turbo side. I'd say 14ga but the wire's need to be quite flexable.
    OE sounds like the way to go.

DennisG01 Guest

I agree, the spade ends are nothing special. It's just one more thing to do. The OE harness from Parts Direct is $39. And the (2) quick connects for #'s 4&6 are $8 apiece.

tom.mcinerney Guest

my OEM wires insulated with hitemp silicone except those to the plugs within heat shields beneath turbo, which have teflon insulation last bit. Not sure, but the blade connectors may also be hitemp rated. At any rate, be advised that hitemp blade connectors do exist.