Thread: Increasing Boost, what module to buy? What are the cons?

My boost setup is all stock, the most I ever see it hit is about 8-9psi...

Questions:
    -Which module to buy? (see that a couple people offer them)
    -How much can I turn it up and have NO worries about doing damage?
    -Any other cons to turning up the boost?

Thanks again guys!!!
    98 6.5L (Banks exhaust w/o cat, JK fan clutch, gauges, synthetic oils, boost chip, K&N filter, Optima Redtops, Alpine CD)
    My truck:http://www.midwestlambos.com/forum/p...sc/trailer.JPG

rjschoolcraft Guest

Your best bet right now would be to use the search feature and read old posts.

I want to say this again...INTERCOOLER. This component becomes increasingly critical as you want better towing performance.

Thanks Ron, Yeah, I have been looking through the old posts, and have read your story. Nice job, they are very well written. I have to agree with you however, you are one that likes punishment! I would have thrown in the towel on the Suburban! However, since you didnt, we have lots of good info! Reading your story also makes me worry about going on any trips with my truck!!

I havnt read anything (could have missed it) that has spelled out what my max boost should be with my current setup..
    98 6.5L (Banks exhaust w/o cat, JK fan clutch, gauges, synthetic oils, boost chip, K&N filter, Optima Redtops, Alpine CD)

Hubert Guest

Keep reading more posts its out there and tons of info on intake air charge temps vs boost pressure and relating EGT's. Intake setups etc. Its rather amazing what boost does to intake air charge temperature. And how the ECM protects motor by defueling at high IAT.

Here are just two posts:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-b...=008227#000004

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-b...=009317#000001

Its somewhat a matter of opinion on the limits of boost. Non intercooled ~10-12 max psi is good for some. It can be affected by ambient temp, load, air intake truck setup etc so read read read don't just take one post (mine included) as the correct answer.

Are you addicted yet? Lots on here can't get enough of diesel stuff me included. Have fun reading and learning.

In search feature try different word combo's. Some key words alone will almost return dang near all threads.

Great! Thanks Hubert!

Gauges, gauges, gauges before doing anything that alters delivery of boost or fuel delivery, see another IC install in my sig. only difference is I had to swap out the flex pipe plumbing for solid tube the flex was only 3 psi rated, and weeped oil
    Tim, 98GM K1500 6.5TD(L56/L65), Heath PCM,3.73 gear,4L80 tr,4" exh,Amz air filt&dual oil flts, Heath remote FSD, TDO-7 clone turbo, Heath fan clutch,mandrel crossover, pilar gage BST/EGT/TRN, remote elec fan tran cool,alum trn pan

a5150nut Guest

10/12 lbs boost max without intercooler. after that the increase in heat offsets any gain in boost pressure.

TurboDiverArt Guest

Originally posted by ronniejoe:
    Your best bet right now would be to use the search feature and read old posts.

I want to say this again...INTERCOOLER. This component becomes increasingly critical as you want better towing performance.
    Intercooler yes! Especially when you can put a new one on for about $450 if you don't mind the piping wrapping around the frame. Kent and others have done it successfully and I'll complete my own install in a few weeks. In Kent

Art,
    Whos intercooler are you using. I would like to install this on my truck.
    Lonnie Diers Extreme Automatics
    1994 Chev 2500HD 532,119 miles 21,300 GCW towing machine.
    Original engine, injectors, replaced head gasket 1 injection pump, 3 turbos

Ready to install ( was ready now changing to 18.1 pistons)
    New engine 4 bolt splayed steel caps
    Lightly ported heads
    Polished intake port matched
    HX35W Turbo
    Intercooler (very efficient tube fin design)
    Marine Injectors hi pop
    Cooling upgrades
    3" DP
    4"exhaust
    remote mount PMD cooler
    Fresh air intake (in the making)
    Gears ???? have not decided looks like 3.42
    250HP at the wheels or bust (maybe both)

damork Guest

I run a BD Race chip (94-95 was only year you could rechip the diesel), newer units usually reprogram the ECM. I've got gauges, and nearly 200k with this chip. I get 12+ lbs boost anytime I want, but like the chip more for the overall driveability. I believe you can get the ECM reprogrammed to do the same from several sources.

markrinker Guest

As always, there are trade-offs when it comes to increasing boost and fuel over stock.

Kennedy has a simple yet eloquent solution that intercepts the return signal to the ECM and allows you to turn up boost while retaining the entire stock boost management system. Its drawback is the boost management system itself, which has multiple points of failure over time. (vaccuum pump, boost solenoid, vaccuum lines, wastegate actuator, etc.) If you commit to keeping it working, this is a good solution that keeps factory safegaurds in place.

Heath Diesel sells a simple replacement that uses spring pressure to control the wastegate. Its drawback is the ECM no longer controls boost actively - so gauges are a must, FIRST.

As for more fuel, your '98 will need a reflash to the stock ECM. Either of the vendors mentioned above will give you great a great performance increase, I would suggest a package purchase from the vendor whose boost solution you desire.

No mention of exhaust? Below is the generally accepted order of mods for incrental performance gains and safety of engine internals...

1) Open up breathing - intake and exhaust mods
    2) Gauges - pyro and boost minimum
    3) Boost control
    4) Fuel addition
    5) Intercooling
    6) Propane, nitrous, twin turbos, etc... LOL
    7) Duramax

(Did I type that out loud???)

Barry Nave Guest

(Did I type that out loud???)

LOL (Lots of Liquid)

Tough Guy Guest

Originally posted by andrew8896:
    My boost setup is all stock, the most I ever see it hit is about 8-9psi...

Questions:
    -Which module to buy? (see that a couple people offer them)
    -How much can I turn it up and have NO worries about doing damage?
    -Any other cons to turning up the boost?

Thanks again guys!!!
    You must have gauges in order to know where your boost currently is so.....I would get the Heath Boost Controller... I have one, its easy to install, adjust and will always work...I wouldn't go more than 12 psi...

Chris