Thread: 4X4 issues

Default 4X4 issues

Have a 96 suburban 2500 with 145,000 and change. The 4 wheel can only be engaged with the engine off. If you try to engage with the motor running in either neutral or drive, you get a wonderful gear grinding that just about makes your teeth fall out. So.... I'm hoping this is an easy fix if there is such a thing. My light on the transfer case indicator is also not working. This has been this way since I have owned the truck, (since about may of 07), finally getting around to looking into this.

Thanks for any help or ideas on this one.

With the manual floor shifter
    Usually you let the vehicle roll 2 or 3 mph.
    Shift to netural (remain rolling) then grab the shifter and pull it into 4X mode.

Is this an electric shift (little knob on dash) or floor lever type?

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Default might be linkage adjustment

is it a np 208? if so i know the grinding noise you speak of,it,the grinding,made my ex,give up camping as it happened way down in baja,ya,it's an awesome sound.mine would'nt stay in 4-hi would jump out,and would only stay in 4-lo,not a problem except,4-lo is/was too low.a shop manual has the procedure to adjust quite easy,make sure fluid level is correct,as far as light goes,it's just a wire to switch,dash light could be burnt,once again should be simple, i only say that because these are things i fixed,and only wish i understood a small percetage of that info on new truck,hope this helps.chev1

The 96 most likely does not have a 208.
    94 was the last year I believe for that box.
    My 95 has the Borgwarner unit in it with a manual shift (DaHooooley)
    The Burbs I believe went to an electric shift setup but they may have still used or had available a manual shift unit.

We need the nomenclature off the tag on the Box.
    Who made it and the model number.

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

The last year for the NP208 should be 91 when GM stopped production of the old K5 Blazer and Suburbans. The front drive shaft is on the wrong side for the 88 and up K pickups and the 92 and up Blazer/JimmyTahoe/Yukon and Suburbans due to the IFS.
    William

97 Chevy Tahoe 2Dr 6.5 Kennedy Exhaust Pipes w/Homemade Resonator and Flowmaster Muffler, Turbo Tech intercooler and Kennedy/Westers computer
    01 Sunline 2363 Travel Trailer

Wonder why people post up a thread, then do not follow up on replies?
    Looks like they came either way.

My '98 Sub with all the options has the floor shift (don't know how someone managed that). The button is much more common. Another question is this a manual or automatic (don't even recall off hand if the stick was offered in the Sub??).
    Bryan Lundquist
    Bangor, ME
    1998 Suburban 2500 4X4 with optimizer 6500 engine (4/07) with battery modification, remote mount FSD cooler (behind bumper), 285/75/16LRE BFG All Terrains (going to 4" backspacing wheel required 1.25" lift), AFE air cleaner, Stewart Warner Maximum Performance EGT, Boost and Trans temp gauges, 3->4" stainless exhaust, Rancho RS9000xl shocks, LEDs in all exterior lights.
    2005 2500HD crew cab 6'6"bed with 6.0L no mods yet.
    2010 2500 Suburban - couldn't wait any longer for a duramax.
    Also 1978 Chevy Blazer 350cid HD engine with Fisher plow; 1988 Suburban

Thanks for all the feedback.

For the guy giving me crap for not responding.... sorry but I do have to work and my employer isn't real supportive of us surfing the net on their dime. It's not like I haven't been back in a week to check for feedback.... It's barely been 24 hours.

Back to the feedback. It is an automatic transmission with the manual shift on the floor. I'll have to pull the data from the truck. I'll give the shift attempt while driving 2-3mph in the morning.

I really do appreciate the help on this one