Thread: Rear sway bar & traction bar?

DA BIG ONE Guest

Thinking of going w/rear sway & traction bar. Hellwig comes to mind for the sway but I'm want traction bars that will mount above the diff and spring so I don't lose any ground clearance.

I've got more body roll than I like.

The rear differential when off road will bounce losing traction if I get on it too hard from a dead stop.

I have the Hellwig rear bar for the K2500. When I installed it a couple of years ago the kit was very poor design and quality in my opinion. It had bad or missing hardware, poor paint, and oversized holes for the bolts. I used my own hardware and brackets. The bar does not extend past the differential housing.
    1999 K2500 Suburban LT w/3.73 gears
    265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos
    SS oil lines & HB7 cooler
    More to come...

DA BIG ONE Guest

Originally posted by MJEasly:
    I have the Hellwig rear bar for the K2500. When I installed it a couple of years ago the kit was very poor design and quality in my opinion. It had bad or missing hardware, poor paint, and oversized holes for the bolts. I used my own hardware and brackets. The bar does not extend past the differential housing.
    How about function?

I also have an ORU front bar that I installed at the same time. I just checked ORU's site and couldn't find it. Anyways, I did both bars together and I did notice better manners on the highway, which was what I was after. I primarily use my sub for family road trips w/ little or no off-roading. I run 265/75/16 LTX A/T tires on 16x7 Alcoa classic wheels.

The sub doesn't seem to get blown around like it used to and the cornering is much flatter. I can really tell a difference on off-ramps - not a scary proposition anymore. Turn in is much improved. Overall handling is ideal for what I use the suburban for - highway cruising.

I have not talked to anyone who has used these bars in addition to larger lift/tires. Also, I'm not sure how much the rear bar contributed to the end result. Together, the bars seem like the ticket for our trucks.
    1999 K2500 Suburban LT w/3.73 gears
    265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos
    SS oil lines & HB7 cooler
    More to come...

DA BIG ONE Guest

Originally posted by MJEasly:
    The sub doesn't seem to get blown around like it used to and the cornering is much flatter. I can really tell a difference on off-ramps - not a scary proposition anymore. Turn in is much improved. Overall handling is ideal for what I use the suburban for - highway cruising.
    It's the off ramps and highway manners that I need to tame.

I've come up with quick disconnects for swaybar end links when doing serious offroad activity.

Arrow

Originally posted by DA BIG ONE:
    Thinking of going w/rear sway & traction bar. Hellwig comes to mind for the sway but I'm want traction bars that will mount above the diff and spring so I don't lose any ground clearance.

I've got more body roll than I like.

The rear differential when off road will bounce losing traction if I get on it too hard from a dead stop.
    Sway/traction bars will help with the body roll.

Traction issues on the rear is a tire pressure issue. If you are running them at full recommended pressure, it is very likely they will hop, chatter, bounce, and/or lose traction on takeoff.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com