Thread: cucv 1984 6.2L starter

Default cucv 1984 6.2L starter

i am currently at deployed to iraq im in the us army and i been trying to get a truck other then a hummer. i got one and the starter is burned up and cant find any new or old to replace it down here or back home in the junk yards. so dose any one have one or know where i might be able to find one? or maybe a cylaniod that will fit it. its a 24V starter basicly same motor on a hummer just starter size and few other diffrence's. any one with some info for me it would be veery helpful thanks

Good to see you in the BB! Thank you for doing what needs to be done in Iraq!

I recommend CUCV owners convert their electrical system to 12v. This makes it a lot easier to maintain in the civilian world. Aside from the starter, the glow system can be fairly easy to convert to 12v. The wiring diagram and part numbers can be found in the online 6.2/6.5 Troubleshooting Resource in the Member's Area - which you have access to....

For 12v starters try: www.usdieselparts.com It might be worth asking them about 24v starters as well.

There are also 6.2/6.5 starters available on eBay for a low price, but I suspect they are made in China. I have no idea about their quality.

Also, you might want to consider upgrading to the newer style gear-driven 6.5 starter. It'll bolt on and work fine, but you should still check the starter drive to ring gear clearance for best performance and long life. And, you'll need the matching front support bracket.

Jim

Dont bother converting, if you do you wont be able to use the NATO slave recepticle on the truck. the hmmwv starter should bolt right up, especially if you can find one off of a 6.2 equipped hmmwv. (though I'm fairly sure that all the hmmwv's in the sandbox have the 6.5 now)

www.odiron.com sells new starters.
    Last edited by john8662; 12-16-2007 at 00:14. Reason: directing traffic elsewhere...
    1985 M1008
    (k30 for the civi' minded people)
    my photo album
    6.2L (banks turbo installed)
    6" suspension lift
    38.5" ground hawg radials on H1 double-beadlocks
    cross-over steering
    rear disc brakes

yea i was thinking about a huwwmv starter but when i went and got a 6.2l starter off one the starter was almost double the size....

That would be the direct drive starter, they are huge. I will take a picture of mine and post it for you today so you have something to compare it to.
    1985 M1008
    my photo album
    6" suspension lift
    cross-over steering
    rear disc brakes

sorry for the delay in posting back to this.

If you click on the photo album link in my signature, it will take you to all of my truck pics. I have uploaded a few pics of the starter.
    1985 M1008
    my photo album
    6" suspension lift
    cross-over steering
    rear disc brakes

Default CUCV starter

Have your maintenance section order NSN 2920-01-157-3765. That is the current stock number for a CUCV starter.I'm playing Iraq to