Thread: Manifold Bolts (NOT a "frozen" bolt question)

Default Manifold Bolts (NOT a "frozen" bolt question)

My engine is currently out getting rebuilt, so I can't check this simple thing myself. I am wondering if there is enough room to convert all of the manifold bolts to thru-bolts w/nuts. In the long run, this might be an easier thing and since I have the manifolds sitting in my garage right now, this would be the easiest time to do it. But, I was wondering:

1) Is there enough room on the backside of the manifold flange to get a wrench on all of the nuts? Maybe atleast a stubby wrench?

In the future, if a nut ended up getting frozen onto the bolt I could always just turn the bolt hard enough to snap it off. However, I would think that the most likely scenario would be the head of the bolt snapping off, not the nut end.

2) In that case, is there enough room behind the manifold flange to pull the nut/bolt combo out without running into any interference?

If any of you will be under your truck in the near future (and if you have the time), could you please check these two things out for me?

Thanks!
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

If you are talking about the exhaust cross over, don't put through bolts there!!!! I had two strip out on the passenger side and nuts were put in place, what a P I T A. A few months ago my motor was out and I tack welded nuts where the bolts were. Use some good anti seize and you will never have a problem. Good luck!
    1994 Dana 70 HD 4.11 Dually Crew cab. Exhaust work, 249,996 miles on orginal motor. Zero miles on new one.... Gauge work and various custom mods. Bumper & manifold (spare) mounted FSD cooler. This thing must have been assembeled on a Wednesday!!

(on edit) Yes, I am talking about the manifold/exhaust crossover mounting point. Sorry, I forgot to specify that in my first post.

I think I know what you are talking about. About two years ago a mechanic did the same thing to mine. He couldn't get a bolt out, so he burned it out and replaced it with a thru bolt and nut. The idea is good, but the PITA is that the flange on the backside of the manifold (where the bolt goes through) doesn't allow enough room for a nut to be threaded easily (it was hard to get it started). To alleviate that problem, I've ground away some of the manifold flange material (there is plenty of material there, so I'm not worried about it) and that made it much easier. I know it works well with this particular bolt (on the driver's side), but I just can't remember how much clearance there is on the other 5. I may even slightly oversize the holes in the manifold flange to make things even easier.
    Last edited by DennisG01; 12-30-2007 at 13:49.
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

Bump.

I guess I shouldn't have posted this around the holidays - I think it got overlooked too quickly.

Oh well, I know it's cold outside for alot of you, but if anyone has their truck inside and has a few minutes to spare, I'd appreciate it.