Thread: free intake mod

Default free intake mod

i took off that round box for the air cleaner that connects between the filter housing and the fender. i took out the 10 mill bolt that holds the strap for the box, removed the strap, took the box out, and inspected to see what i could do to increase flow. i noticed it was very narrow inside and it looked like there was a baffle inside of it. i took a pair of side cutter tin snips and a flat head screwdriver to begin removing it. i used the screwdriver to pry it out a little and made as long of cuts into the baffle as i could. after doing that it was pretty easy to pull the baffle out, opening the box to flow a lot more air. i put it in after using the factory hardware(which is always a plus.) i have noticed a slight better increase of throttle response, and before i put it back together, i noticed a large increase of air flow going into the engine. i think that this weekend i will insert a piece of tubing into the box to have a better flow pattern, insted of having it bounce around in the box.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    89 K2500 6.2 4X4 3/4 TON 4x4 TH400
    87 DODGE D50 360 727 TORQUE FLITE FORD 9'' MANY MODS--- IT'S FOR SALE

Cool, given that you've got the larger diameter opening into your air filter housing (88-93 trucks) now you're getting a bit more air. It does make a difference, did something real similar when my '86 6.2L was non-turbo.

J