Thread: Incoming Newb ;)

Default Incoming Newb ;)

Hey there all!

Just popping on over here from steelsoldiers.com

*tips hat to ajmblazer from SS for the recommendation and to ccatlett1984 whos here already and been a great help so far*

currently running a stock 1987 M1008 CUCV with a current mileage of 55,045 (my first four wheeled vehicle. the mopeds don't count ) Love my truck

A few more current issues now.

A.) I failed the opacity test. Needed 55%, scored 85% (testing done in Tacoma, WA)

B.) The current gas mileage i'm getting plainly sucks. I am getting between 10 - 14mpg, which as far as i can tell is a good bit worse than what I should be getting.

I'm not really running much of a load

2 spares in bed
    the milk crate o' fluids
    highlift jack
    small tool box
    small fire extinguisher
    road triangles
    bag o' safety equipment
    misc. clothing and paperwork
    3 1/5th bottles of EverClear
    Me

probably comes out to about 500 lbs. + truck

I'm adding 6oz of Lucas (spelling?) fuel additive per tank to offset the low sulfer and keep things clean. I've also been driving 55 mph down the highway to save fuel as well (last tank made 14.4 mpg)

any ideas on how i can improve my opacity and mileage per gallon?

Welcome aboard!

Bummer on the no-pass inspection. They're getting tougher on that kind of thing. I might have to shape up myself as they're cracking down on my favorite "peel and stick" inspection type places.

Anyways for opacity type problems you'll need to look at the normal maintenance type items first. Change the air filter, make sure it's good and fresh as well as the fuel filter. Yeah, the fuel filter, because a restricted flow of fuel can and will cause timing issues which can make it smoke.

For a fuel economy improvement you'll need to do something about the RPM's the engine is running at down the road. The M1008's are geared for stump pulling, not good for empty running. They are geared 4.56. You can combat this by increasing your tire size, thus changing the final drive ratio. Besides that there are a multitude of things than you can change to get the mileage up, but they aren't simple. They include, Overdrive transmission, changing the ring & pinion gears in both differentials, or overdrive unit behind transfer case.

J

changed the air filter already (el cheapo FRAM type, gona put a K&N in soon), but i have to order a filter (or does NAPA stock those?)

wheels are another matter. gotta see what it would cost for one of the MV guys down in texas will charge for a 6-pack of the surplus 8-bolt HMMWV type.

i do have a spare engine available, just have to finish paying the $400 for it. its a 6.2 with about 25k - 27k miles on it current owner drove it from yakima then stripped the CUCV it was in for parts (he sells the axles mainly)