Thread: Remote mount PMD without removing old one?

Default Remote mount PMD without removing old one?

I have been reading alot of threads about PMD failures. I fear I may be another victim. I'm wondering if I can remote mount a PMD without removing my old one. It looks like it would be kind of hard to plug in a new one without removing the old one. Can you snake it through a different passage in the intake?

Also, has anyone tried resoldering their joints on one of these? Apparently this is done on some older automotive electronic components because the solder joints crack over time.
    Brian

Default Need an extended harness

You can leave old one mounted to pump.

Unplugging the harness requires you use a long screwdriver to release the harness plug tab then gently pull it off and maybe a coat hanger formed into a hook to bring plug to point were you can reach it but it will not come up and out to far but far enough to allow the plugging of an extended harness.

From here you need and extended harness JK sells em.

Then new unit mounted on a heat sink and mounted out of engine bay.
    99 GMC SUB, 2500, 4x4, 6.5 TD (F) #H32 enhanced blk, Phaser timing set, B&D IC, 3" ATS exh, K&N w/prefilter, 4WD NVG 246, 4L80E kevlar Transgo off road/tow mods/B&M supercooler, 14 FF MagTec w/locker 3.42:1, 9.25" IFS frt/diff 3.42:1 w/ARB locker, AutoMeter Boost & pre-turbo pyro meter, 12,000 lb hydro winch, Warn classic bumper w/brushguard & diesel scoop, Max E-torq Stage 3, hi pop inj, oil bypass sys, on board air comp for front ARB locker & tire inflation, DynaView driving/auto-cornering lts, DZ nerfs, A/T 285/75/16 SilentArmor 3750 lb rated on 3750 lb rated Alcoa, 3 IP drivers 2 r spares.

Thank you! Even if you mount it under the front bumper or in the cab do you still need a heat sink?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by 914turboford View Post
    Thank you! Even if you mount it under the front bumper or in the cab do you still need a heat sink?
    Yes. It MUST have a means of transferring the heat away from the transistors. When it's mounted to the pump, the pump housing does this, and the fuel carries away the heat (some of it). With no sink of some sort, there is no way air will transfer enough heat from the small surface area of the transistors. Just like a processor in a PC, small surface area for the heat involved. You can fab your own or buy one ready made. Requirements are simple. Be sure to get a good contact surface to the sink (they must mate perfectly, no gap), and use heat transfer paste or patch (paste is preferred).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Cool. Thanks. In my search I can see that you vets have answered these questions countless times. This board contains some of the most patient members/moderators I've seen.
    Brian