Thread: DSG gear-set: Setting Cam and Crank Alignment?

I am in the process of installing the DSG gear-set which is just one of addition that I am making to my 6.5. I have taken my DS4 IP off as I am converting over to a DB2 IP. The concern I have with the DSG gear-set install is that I will be off by a “tooth” on the new gear-set and won’t know it until I get everything back together. I will end up with a whole bunch of black smoke from the exhaust or no start at all. I have “lined up” the marks (dots) on the DSG gear-set and they look good, but I am wondering short of prying off the value covers and checking the individual values is there any other (easier) way to make sure the crankshaft and camshaft are in proper alignment?

Thanks for the help Brent.
    1994 Chevy Surb 4x4 2500 6.5 L Turbo Diesel 4.1 Diff. 145,000 bought used.

john8662 Guest

You'll be surprised, as long as you've got the dot's lined up on the gear set you're good to go. I've done two of these now and both times the timing ended up being correct. I know what you mean though, just take careful note of where the dots are in regard to the center of the timing cover area. They should be lined up and centered.

BobND Guest

I am reinstalling a used set, and, after some of the questions that have been raised about proper timing, I counted off the teeth, to find the point across the gear to line up with, then marked my gears.

http://ndtc3500.stellarnet.com/~blwe...imingMARKS.jpg

I think this will make things a little more sure and clear than just trying to line up the dots.

Very good idea! I will count out the teeth and make the mark all the way across the gear. The pic says it all. Thanks again for the help. Brent
    1994 Chevy Surb 4x4 2500 6.5 L Turbo Diesel 4.1 Diff. 145,000 bought used.