Thread: 6.5L Glow Plug Question

Unhappy

Hello...

I have always owned gas powered trucks until now, with the purchase of a used 1995 K2500 6.5L

The truck runs fine, but I always changed the spark plugs on a gas block. I figure that I should do a similar task with the diesel and put in new glow plugs.

My questions are as follows:

How can I tell if I have a burned out glow plug?

What else should I be looking for when looking at the used plug?

Is there any brands of glow plugs that are best or should be avoided?

How hard is it to change (I've done many spark plugs - is it that much different).

Any accessability issues? How much does one torque in the glow plugs, just snug or really tight?

Any advice anyone can give to me, I'd be happy to receive.

Regards,

...Byron
    Quality and Reliabilty<br />Chevrolet Motor Division<br />General Motors

Hubert Guest

Byron,

Nothing insulting intented by this but you need to do a good bit of reading up on basic operations or reword your question.

Do you have any issues starting the engine? Long cranking episodes, really rough idle, and excessive smoke on start up?
    Your profile says Canada so give some relative info on temperature, plugged in, fuel additives and quality, battery strength, cranking speed etc describing problems.

How many miles on the engine and components?

Originally posted by 2Lane:
    Hello...

I have always owned gas powered trucks until now, with the purchase of a used 1995 K2500 6.5L

The truck runs fine, but I always changed the spark plugs on a gas block. I figure that I should do a similar task with the diesel and put in new glow plugs.

{Not the same unless at cranking and first minute of operation. Injectors/Nozzles are maybe a better comparison to sparkplugs. Glow plugs are a starting aid. Yes both wear out.}- {Injectors will still work a long time after but performance starts droping off after 80-120K miles.}

My questions are as follows:

How can I tell if I have a burned out glow plug?

{Hard starting, rough idle and smoke on crank up.
    Test light from battery + to spade end of GP. That will get you started for obvious opens. }

What else should I be looking for when looking at the used plug?

Is there any brands of glow plugs that are best or should be avoided?

{Buy OEM or better parts several supporting vendors have them. Read several other posts for more advice on which is best.}

How hard is it to change (I've done many spark plugs - is it that much different).

{Maybe relatively harder than sparkplugs depending on vehicle but doable. Most on here are good do it yourselfers (me) some are mechanics some just need info to argue with the service reps so it depends on you. }

Any accessability issues? How much does one torque in the glow plugs, just snug or really tight?

{yes, passanger side is ugly I have read. Read other threads for advice }

Any advice anyone can give to me, I'd be happy to receive.

{Read read read the diesel page and enjoy the truck.}

Regards,

...Byron

RT Guest

If it starts normally don't mess with it! Change the oil/filter, fuel filter and air cleaner. Recommend you use a quality fuel additive. Read all you can about the 6.5TD as they have some idiocyncracies. RT

trbankii Guest

Yep, start reading! Lots of information on the forum about all the questions you asked. Also definitely worth the money to buy Jim's book on the 6.5TD which will put a lot of the answers in one place: http://www.thedieselpage.com/65book.htm

First unplug the glow wire on the plug your going to test.Then connect a test light to the positive terminal on the battery and use the test light to touch the end of the glow plug.If the test light comes on,the glow plug is okay.If no light is seen,change out that plug.Thats a quick way to know if they are faulty or not.
    80\'Olds 5.7 DIESEL