Thread: Change Fuel Filter

Default Change Fuel Filter

Today my 07 LBZ was showing "Change Fuel Filter" on the DIC. I had the filter changed in November 07 @ 12,000 miles. I now have 14,700. I always fuel up at the same station and have never had any issues. Does the computer really detect that it needs to be replaced or is it by mileage? It was the coldest night this season, last night approx 10*. Possibly that has something to due with it? My truck was plugged in. What should I Do?

I'll let someone else familar with the DIC answer the question of how it 'decides' when to request a filter change, but with that few miles on the filter, if its still running okay, I'd fill up with 50/50 #1 and #2 and add a bottle of the good additive.

Once it warms back up, you'll probably be in good shape until >15K on the filter.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

It's by mileage (15K). someone forgot to reset it. Put the DIC on "Fuel filter life" and hold the reset button until it clears.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Was the DIC reset after the filter change? It doesn't automatically figure out there is a new filter present. Ed
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

I am almost cetain it was reset when the filter was changed. I remember doing the hooky-pooky dance with the pedal like the manual states to reset the fuel filter. I dont have the steering wheel option. Possibly it didn't reset. Would it matter if I reset it again to clear it, and if it really does need to be replaced will it send the message again?

I thought that only resets the oil life monitor not fuel filter

Default to reset

Your truck will do this at a set milage just like your oil change message. To reset your oil change message with the key forward (not running) hit your gas 5 times (it may be 6) and a message will appear "oil life reset". To reset you fuel filter life with the key forward (not running) hold your gas and brake for 10 seconds or until the message comes up saying fuel filter life reset. But remeber only do this if you accualy did change your filter. The other message your can get is water in fuel. This there is no reset. You have to reach under the fuel filter and crack the drain loose but it's usally better to just change the filter.