Thread: Engine Stall?

Default Engine Stall?

Yesterday, 40 degrees F, raining, I went over this rough rail road track and when the truck came down on the other side(yeah that rough) when I got my foot back on the accelerator petal absolutely nothing happened, I pushed it a little farther, it stopped slowing down, but didn't accelerate either, so I shoved it all the way to the floor and it came alive, made a lot of injector noise and blew white smoke out the exaust, then coughed, almost like a backfire through a carburetor would sound, the messesage center light went red for about 1/2 a second and then it took off and ran fine ever since. Any ideas???
    That's the first time I ever felt anything like that from a Duramax, its got me stumped. No check engine light, has that ever happened to anyone that you could hit a bump hard enough to make the engine shut off momenterly?
    Last edited by SoTxPollock; 01-16-2008 at 11:19. Reason: added info
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.

did the gauges flicker?
    02 lb7 two stage k&n with afe filter, thermo tech, hot edge with attitude, 75 ddp injectors, ats protorque propane, bd manifold, mbrp, ats waterboy, 150 fass, tie rod end sleeves

No, gauges were steady, lighting stayed the same, still running fine, just another mystery I guess. Still I wonder, some sensor going??, but no check engine light??
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.

Maybe she sucked a bit of water in the fuel system...
    07 Chevrolet Classic, CC, regular box, Duramax Diesel, Magnaflow dual exhaust and Superchips tuned.

Check to see if one of your batteries came loose. Sounds like a momentary electrical short or disconnection of some type.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

I think Mark may be on the right track. Maybe a loose ground somewhere or even something to do with the drive by wire throttle system.

Thumbs up

Thanks, for all the good suggestions, I agree they are all potentials, but so far have found nothing wrong and it hasn't happened again. Again thanks.