Thread: Aluminium Tanks

Default Aluminium Tanks

This question may have been asked before but I could not find any post of it. Most of the in bed fuel tanks for trucks are made of Aluminium, which I believe is not recommended for use with Biodiesel. Is Biodiesel that corrosive to aluminium and if it is, how corrosive is it ? How long would an aluminium tank last in a truck bed with the use of Soybean Biodiesel ? Your opinions would be appreciated.
    2002 Chevy D/A C/C 4x4 Black
    IssPro Gages,Stage 4 with Precision ML converter, EFILive (IdahoRob), Jerry Jardine 4" exhaust, Line-X liner, Dura-Max Boost Valve,Dura-Max Tierod Sleeves, Dura-Max spring clamps, Motorguard Oil bypass filter,Hummer H2 wheels, BFG T/A KO's with TB's cranked 1", Diamond truck cover, Running on B100 soybean Biodiesel
    Steve

Default Anybody

Opinions welcome! Anyone?
    2002 Chevy D/A C/C 4x4 Black
    IssPro Gages,Stage 4 with Precision ML converter, EFILive (IdahoRob), Jerry Jardine 4" exhaust, Line-X liner, Dura-Max Boost Valve,Dura-Max Tierod Sleeves, Dura-Max spring clamps, Motorguard Oil bypass filter,Hummer H2 wheels, BFG T/A KO's with TB's cranked 1", Diamond truck cover, Running on B100 soybean Biodiesel
    Steve

Default I don't know from Bio

I can't speak to bio-diesel. Never had access to it and have never used it so far. I do have an American Tanks 40 gallon aluminum in-bed aux that has been in constant service since December of 2001. Aluminum is pretty resistant to oxidation in most any service. Mine still looks clean when I peek into the filler. It DOES scavenge fuel additives (I found this out the hard way a couple of years ago when I gelled up at 0430 in the morning in the middle of the desert at -45 degrees F.)
    Tom Ashley 2004 6.0 2500HD/Silverado CC/SB/4x4