Thread: First reaction - Edge Evolution

Default First reaction - Edge Evolution

Bought a used Edge Evolution to test on my 2006. After reading the instructions, decided to download latest updates from www.edgeproducts.com before testing it on the truck.

Downloaded 'Fusion' update application. Connected Evolution. Application starts, but fails to run properly. Call Edge tech support. They suggest installing the application again, or on another computer, or trying to restart my machine...I try it on three separate internet connected computers, (XP, Vista32, Vista64) - all encounter various errors preventing a successful update.

Throwing caution to the wind, I use the Evolution to check and reset an SES code set during the recent cold snap due to plugged a fuel filter. It worked fine for that purpose. I scroll through the menus and options, and it all looks oddly familiar, almost if they licensed the firmware from Predator, or the same company that Predator licenses from. Almost word for word.

Flush with success from the code reset, and the familiarity with the menus, I decide to install the 'Economy' tune, even though the latest updates had not yet been installed...

The Evolution halts the installation as the version loaded is deemed 'incompatible' with my 2006 code level. (Probably a good thing, I should give a plug to Edge for this.) I call Edge tech support. They verify that the version of the Evolution is correct for my 2006, but from the serial number and 'BETA' printed next to it, suggest that I install their 'Fusion' upgrade software and install the updates...

Now frustrated beyond words, I turn over the Evolution to my wife (who is less technical, but more patient) and she somehow gets through the installation and updates the Evolution successfully on the 4th machine available to us - her work laptop.

Success!

I take the Evolution out to the truck, ready to install! Connect it to the OBD-II port, and get the following message...

"UNKNOWN ERROR 43 - PLEASE CALL TECHNICAL SUPPORT."

No menus, no troubleshooting, no nothing. Just the message.
    Last edited by Mark Rinker; 01-30-2008 at 21:04.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

a friend of mine had an edge for his ford. when i went to update it for him as he is not very computer savy.... had same problem... finaly figure it out as it was the version of abode was not the newest one. updated it and presto... worked like a charm...
    2005 Silverado 2500HD CC 4X4 5-speed Allison KD transfer case upgrade Reflex Spray in Bed coating, Access tonneau cover, Banks Ottomind 6 Tuner with Power PDA, Banks Monster exhaust,Banks Ram air intake. Ultrastart remote starter,Blistein shocks,Mag-hytech deep trans pan, Pulling 1982 27.5 ft Golden Falcon TT 275,000 kms

Quote Originally Posted by Gapper_ca View Post
    it was the version of abode was not the newest one...
    What is "Abode"?
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rinker View Post
    What is "Abode"?
    Acrobat or Acrobat Reader. Used to decode .PDF files.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

We have Adobe on all systems, and used it to view the Edge documentation. (Can anyone not have at least Adobe Reader these days? Its like the most respected computer virus known to computing...)

Not sure how that would affect the Evolution upgrade, unless you are simply saying 'read the directions', which at least my wife did, thoroughly. Its pretty straightforward. What did you find in the instructions that turned the corner for you?

Probably one of the partial installs that resulted in a Windows application error ended up with a corrupted file on the Evolution. We have re-installed twice, everything looks great, but the box is DOA when you plug it into the truck.

Unless there is something linking Adobe .dlls and Evolution files, I don't see how the version of Adobe could affect your upgrade. Please correct me if I am wrong...

Mark, perhaps you are unaware that Adobe reader does nothing but read, view the document. You may think you are making changes, but your not. You have to have Adobe Writer to make changes to a PDF and be able to save the changes. Reader is free, Writer is not. I'd suggest talking with Edge Tech again.
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.

I understand the two versions and functions, but not the relationship between Adobe products and the update function of the Evolution...will call tech support and try to peice this all together.

Otherwise, maybe someone can enlighten me first, here?

Arrow

I'm not familiar with Evolution program code, but it is possible it is written in a .pdf. Code is nothing more than text/characters recorded in a file (usually a binary or hexadecimal image file), and it could be done with a .pdf. Not the way I'd do it, but it could be done. The Acrobat CODEC (COmperssor/DECompressor) is necessary to do anything with Acrobat files, and the CODEC is part of the Acrobat Reader program. Their version updates occur often. Pdf's are easily secured. With the reverse engineering happening in just about every aspect of computer code, an uncommon form of coding would slow it down, some. I have Acrobat (not the same as Acrobat Reader), and the license is very expensive ($1100+ for my version). Even with Acrobat Distiller, a person still will have great difficulty decoding/writing a file that's been encrypted. I've had to decrypt .pdf files when the key is lost before publication, and it isn't fun. I think the Japanese had an easier time with Navajo code during WWII.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

As far as I can tell, only the directions are in .pdf format which is fairly common practice.

The Edge website has an application that is downloaded, installed, and run on the user's computer while the Evolution is connected to the computer via USB port.

http://www.edgeproducts.com/product_updates.php

There appears to be a new update program called 'Fusion', and an older one that it being phased out, called 'Lightning'. I downloaded Fusion and didn't have any luck getting the updates to complete (as mentioned earlier in this thread) - program would crash during file copies. Wife ran Fusion sucessfully, but unit was then DOA after update completed and appeared normal.

I am now thinking that there is a firmware issue that may be 'user resolvable'. More later...
    Last edited by Mark Rinker; 01-31-2008 at 16:55.

sorry did nnot fully explain. when i went to update it would fail. after i updated the abode it worked just fine, the files were written with a newer version and the software is not backward compatiable,,, hope that you can get it working
    2005 Silverado 2500HD CC 4X4 5-speed Allison KD transfer case upgrade Reflex Spray in Bed coating, Access tonneau cover, Banks Ottomind 6 Tuner with Power PDA, Banks Monster exhaust,Banks Ram air intake. Ultrastart remote starter,Blistein shocks,Mag-hytech deep trans pan, Pulling 1982 27.5 ft Golden Falcon TT 275,000 kms

I see no correlation between Fusion/Lightning update programs and Adobe which is used to view and read the instructions. Updating Adobe to fix the download errors wouldn't make any sense to me - they are totally unrelated.

When the Evolution is connected via USB cable to the PC for updating by Fusion, there is a step where it looks for a firmware download from Edge.

My theory now is the tuner firmware (supports the OBD-II interface, menus, etc) is whats whacked right now - not the version specific tables and files for the tunes. Thats why it worked before, but won't work now. Basically, the tuner won't 'boot' when plugged into the OBD-II port. It has all the updated tables and files for a 2006 Chevolet Duramax - those come from Fusion and that program runs and ends normally.

Mark,
    I know this thread is a bit old but I haven't been on the site from sometime now. Is it possible that the person you bought the Evolution from didn't return the programming to stock before selling it? My understanding is that as you program your truck the stock programming is downloaded to the Evo and whichever program you chose to upload is for lack of a better word swapped.
    Phil
    2007 Metallic Blue GMC Crew Cab 2500HD LBZ Allison. 70K mi, 255/85r16 tires.

1996 GMC 2Dr 4wd Yukon 190k mi, 3.42 rear end, 265/75r16 tires, 4l80e, 97 cooling mod, D-max fan blade, Hayden Severe duty fan clutch, Autometer Boost EGT Tranny temp, JK's 3.5 exhaust.

Reno NV.