Thread: Adjustable Turbo Wastegate Actuator

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks Jim I received my package today, will have to acquire an actuator this week to give this a try.

Mike
    1995 Suburban K2500 6.5TD 3.73's Innercooled, Updated cooling, Banks 3" exhaust no gizzards in the kittie. Pyro/Boost/Trans temp. Transgo HD valvebody kit.
    2002 2500HD, CC, LB, 4X4,California Truck, Federal Emissions Front pipe, Plugged recirculator, modified air box(Per Kennedy's page) 6" RCD lift, 35" tires.

Default Can you really delete the vacuum on 94+

Hey Jim,
    Is it really OK to just remove the vacuum line on a 94? It doesn't mess with the computer? I thought the vacuum actually created or metered the pull on the rod. Is that incorrect- is there a spring in there that handles it- if so why the vacuum hose to begin with? What if you have a performance chip- would the programming address the amount of vacuum as a way to increase performance, and thus you would be hurting yourself by removing the line? I probably should have paid more attention to this before asking you for one! Sorry! I'll do some more searching in the meantime.....
    Dave

EDIT: I searched for wastegate and found a lot of posts. It seems like I need to keep the vacuum in place. If I tighten up the rod using the adjustable arm, it will still work the same way, but give me a little increase in boost, right? Or will this mess with the computer because the resulting boost is more than it was trying to provide?
    Last edited by fastboat; 04-28-2008 at 18:01.

You'll need a 1992-93 factory actuator to work with this mod. One of these actuators would bolt right onto your turbo (replacing the one you have now). Unless you have a 1992-93 actuator already or can get an inexpensive used one, there are better options. As far as the vacuum system, some computers aren't all that finicky when installing an adjustable mechanical actuator - some are. Some of these are helped with a boost fooler or a program that compensates.

Perhaps the best choice for the EFI systems is a chip that does it all - more boost pressure (via the factory vacuum actuated controller) and more fuel.

Jim

Here is what I installed on the P400...

It looks bad, but works good... so good that I needed to dial it down several times already!! I am running 12 lbs of boost

That should work as well as any other mod. More than one way to skin a cat!

Jim