Thread: Oil pressure question??

Default Oil pressure question??

I have a 6.2 (82). What should the oil pressure be when cold, and then warm.

I noticed my gauge is going to 80lbs and that seems high to me.

Any ideas????

My oil pressure is about 60-65 Cold and about 35-40 hot driving. about 25-30 hot idling. Only have 69500 miles on it though.

Does it ever settle below 80 PSI or is it 80 PSI all the time? Is it the factory gauge? Sometimes the factory gauges are not all that accurate.

If the pressure never settles it could be a gauge or sender problem.
    You can verify the pressure by running a mechanical gauge into one of the extra oil ports and just make sure your gauge is correct.

Nate

Default Oil pressure - new change

It's something that just changed. I am hoping it is just a gauge issue. The pressures you listed are identical to what mine was. My engine is about the same as yours in regards to miles on the rebuild. My son drove it up the road and when he got back he commented that the oil guage was acting crazy.

I started it here in the driveway and it jumped right close to 80 lbs and once idling dropped somewhat. When I give it gas is goes right to 80lbs.

I just wnated to check to see if there was naything I should check.

I also wish there were more people on this board. I'm surprised since it seems to be a board with lots of excellent info available.

Arrow

A bad oil pressure gage, if the needle moves at all, is repairable (less than $10). The symptom of an oil pressure gage in need of repair is LOW pressure indicated all the time (calibration resistor failed/open). If you are seeing wild swings, it's more than likely a bad sender. The '82 IPC is pretty basic, with no logic (confuser) involved. Be very careful if you get into it. The PCB (Printed Circuit Board - the panel all the gages and lamps plug into) will be very delicate after all these years.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com