Thread: Exhaust Configuration

Post Exhaust Configuration

I recently purcahsed a 83 blazer with a banks turbo installed. When the guy installed it he left the stock dual exhaust on.It still has a 3 inch down off the turbo,but then he fabricated a Y and tied into the factory dual.I called banks and I can get the correct 3 inch single all the way back but its around 400 bucks.Can any one give me any input on if it will make that big of a difference in performance.Thanks
    83 K5 Blazer with 6.2,banks sidewinder,EGT,Trans temp gauges,bio-diesel B-99,Racor marine fuel water seperator,Hayden Trans cooler,Mag-Hytec trans pan.

Would be better if your exhaust was one pipe because there would be less surface area for the exhaust gas to be slowed down by (less back pressure). Though I would have a hard time paying $400 for the banks system. I made my own exhaust for my truck turbo back with mandrel bends through out and better flowing muffler, for much less than the Bank's system. The problem being if I payed myself, my home made exhaust system would have cost a lot more.

If you want to test the difference though, just run a down pipe. See if the difference is big enough for the money. You might like just a down pipe but after a year it becomes old and annoying.

----
    On Edit
    ----

How do you like running the bio-diesel? Where are you getting it and how's the price? Or are you making your own Bio-diesel?
    •1982 GMC K2500 Cummins 4bt/NV4500/NP208

The stock systems were pretty restrictive. I would say a nice 3-1/2 system with a nice high flow muffler would be be a good choice. My 95 DaHooooley with the 6.5 has the complete Banks exhaust system and it is very civilized. Having a loud roaring beast sounds kewl for a little while but it soon gets old. The Banks exhaust has just enoughof a throaty tone to let you know the little creature up front is there but on those road trips it does not warp your brain after an hour or two of 65 MPH on the freeway.

The less restriction there is the better the turbo is going to work.
    Less retained heat and probably a quicker spool up of the turbo.

I have heard a couple 6.2's that were breathing through a single 4" setup without a muffler. Even this is a bit abrasive on the nerves after a while. The turbo will knock the sharpness off of the exhaust note but a nice muffler is a real plus, especially on the short wheel base rigs. A big o'l long crewcab with the exhaust a half a block in back of you is a whole different story.

The $$$$ are always a consideration though.

Shop around in places like Craigs list/ebay and see what you can scare up.
    You might find something just right for far less $$$

Best

Robyn
    Last edited by Robyn; 02-25-2008 at 09:11. Reason: addition
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Default muffler

hi sorry to cut in ,i,m in process of installing a banks turbo,on and 1984 jimmy.the down pipe is 3 inches,if i understand 3and one half inch should be best size.what could i use as a muffler, i had 2 cherry bombs before and could not stand it no more when towing.hoping someone could give a part number for a more quiet ride.i don,t want to plug it up too.what happens with the donuts the banks system dosn,t have any,i was thinking off installing 12 inches of flex pipe.

Thanks I think I will start by just removing the exsiting factory dual. And just have my 3 inch sown pipe off the turbo. I spoke with somebody here in town who has the sidewinder turbo and he removed his supplied banks muffler and notice quite a difference in his boost performance.Will let you know how it goes.
    83 K5 Blazer with 6.2,banks sidewinder,EGT,Trans temp gauges,bio-diesel B-99,Racor marine fuel water seperator,Hayden Trans cooler,Mag-Hytec trans pan.

I ran just a down pipe for quite a while and eventually installed a 3" to 4" system (stepted up after transfer case) with a straight through muffler. I didn't notice much of a change in egts or boost just noise.

I imagine you will see lower egts, higher/quicker boost, and better performance, once you run just a down pipe. Let us know how it goes.

Removed the factory exhaust today. Now I have just the 3 inch off the turbo. Not as loud as I thought it would be. I can now hear the turbo spooling up nowbefore I could not. Did not notice much of a difference on egts just driving around town they stayed around the same between 300-600 degrees. Thanks for the help.