Thread: diesel costs versus gas?

Default diesel costs versus gas?

Why does diesel cost significantly more than gas? I have been asking around my neck of the woods and nobody can give me a valid reason. I always thought diesel was less expensive to produce? Is it the taxes? or is there something I am just missing here?

Thanks

What Runs all the OTR Trucks? Diesel.. which is why its more expensive bigger usage commercially.
    93 GMC Sierra 2500
    6.5L TD 5 spd Manual trans Sold

97 Chevy Silverado CrewCab K3500 Dually
    6.5L TD Auto

Part of the reason is the introduction of ULSD. ULSD is now no more than 15 ppm sulfur, compared to the previous LSD of no more than 500 ppm of sulfur. The extra refining I guess is what drives the excuse for the increase in cost.

Q. Is ULSD fuel more expensive than the current Low Sulfur Diesel fuel?

A. ULSD fuel costs more to refine and distribute than Low Sulfur Diesel fuel. No one can predict with certainty the price of ULSD fuel at the pump. Many factors affect the consumer price of fuels, including the price of crude oil on the global market, geopolitical, weather, transportation and economic events, as well as supply and demand. Visit the Energy Information Administration web site for more information on fuel prices.
    This if from the Clean Diesel Fuel Alliance Resource Center. This quote is found at http://www.clean-diesel.org/faqs.html

Anyway, I think it is still an excuse. Even with the extra filtering it is still less to filter and produce than gasoline. So, I guess I really don't have an reason of why diesel cost more than gas, but this is what "they" are telling us.
    94 GMC 2500 HD
    Ext Cab, Long bed
    6.5TD, Vin F, 4L80E, 3.73 gears
    Pinnacle 4" Exhaust
    Heath Diesel Turbomaster
    172,000 miles

Angry

Hello all;
    You have to remember it's heating season and home heating oil and diesel fuel are pretty much one in the same. But beleave me I more than agree that it's cheaper for them to make diesel. Therefore in my opion the reason it costs more is because the can charge that much and get it after all this country runs on diesel and plays on gas. Besides Exxon is shooting for 50 billion this year.
    Bill
    2003 D/A CC 4x4 ShortBox, Banks SixGun/speedloader, Monster exhaust, Big Head wastegate, Go Rhino SS wheel to wheel tubes, Bilsteins,K&N FIPK, Painless Headlite kit,TTT's

I've heard that there is and has been a shift to selling energy as measured by B.T.U.s. There is more energy in diesel fuel than in gasoline. Propane has gone the same route.

Soon, I suspect, they ( you do know 'they', don't you? ) will be selling food according to energy content. Beans should rate high and maybe more should they calculate methane content per bean.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JFerg65 View Post
    Why does diesel cost significantly more than gas? I have been asking around my neck of the woods and nobody can give me a valid reason. I always thought diesel was less expensive to produce? Is it the taxes? or is there something I am just missing here?

Thanks
    ****WANTED BURNED OUT PMD/FSD MODULES FOR EXPERIMENT. ****

1998 Silverado, 6.5TD, 210k, long bed. 1984 Chevy Customized Van, 6.2.
    1985 Mercedes-Benz SD, diesel, 220k
    1990 Ford, F-250, 7.3 liter, bad engine.
    Onan, 4 cyl. Diesel, Marine Generator.
    Onan, 4 cyl. Diesel, Stationary Generator.
    Onan, 4 cyl. Diesel, Air-cooled Engine.
    2 Briggs/Faryman Diesels to rebuild.