Thread: Super Chip

Default Super Chip

Hey all.. After running a completely stock 02 Dmax for over a year, I broke down and bought a three stage Super Chip with Safe Tow, Tow Performance, and Hi Performance settings..

As I said, my truck is stock.. Intake is stock and so is exhaust.. This chip really woke up my truck, but now Im concerned with exhaust temps.. Is this a valid concern with this particular chip??

Thanks
    So what if Im Krazy, there is never a dull moment!!

any time you add fuel you will up your egt's,dosnt matter what you run.get an egt gauge and watch your temps. an exhaust would help to lower too.
    #1 01 dmax xcab 251000 miles and climbing
    #2 06 dmax crew cab 66000 miles 2009 polaris dragon 800sp 89 suzuki 500 quadracer

I have run lots of various power adders with unmodified intake and exhaust systems, with and without gauges. Here are my thoughts:

1) Don't tow anything beyond Stage I.

2) Don't keep your foot in it for more than a few seconds on higher stages.

3) Add some boost with a PPE boost fooler, or better yet, and adjustable Kennedy boost valve - and you'll clean up the black smoke and make more power with less EGTs, especially on higher power settings.

If you tow alot, and heavy, add gauges. If you are mostly daily driver, you can get by fine with these rules.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

I have since added 4" turbo back exhaust.. It has a zero back pressure muffler.. Have to say, I really like the sound and the added snoot right off the bottom... Good mods IMO.. I still havent purchased gauges, and dont think I will..

I have towed in all three settings, about 5000-5500 pounds.. On both higher settings I have tripped my engine light.. Code number PO234.. Looked it up at all data, excessive boost.. According to the article, that code will only trip if the turbo exceeds 35 lbs of boost.. I was under the impression that the Dmax turbo wont excess 25 lbs... ??? I have had the light 3 times out of 6 trips.. On each occasion, it felt like the truck reverted to stock settings until I cleared the code...

Any input on the code would be appreciated.. Is the "excessive boost" gonna cost me bucks????

Thanks

Eventually.

Why tow on the higher settings if you know its likely to cause transmission slippage and/or overboost?
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

I towed once on the high setting and took it very easy, got the light about 65 miles into the trip while pulling a mellow grade... I havent towed in high since then and wont tow in the high setting anymore...
    The other two times my light tripped were while under heavy acceleration attempting to merge with traffic on the middle setting..
    I have towed a few times in the low setting, and to be honest, it doesnt feel any different than towing in stock condition..

But, I really dont want to risk damage to my baby.. I think Ill just tow in safe mode from now on...

Thanks for the feed back