Thread: 6.2 red block into a 6.5 truck?

Question 6.2 red block into a 6.5 truck?

Last year I rebuilt my 6.2 red block (see sig.) with the aim of transplanting it into an old body short box 4x4 (that I haven't yet found). In the mean time I picked up a 95 GMC 6.5 with the intent to rebuild the engine (had a bad knock). Since I'm planning on parting out my old truck with the 6.2 anyway is there any reason I couldn't use that engine, just using the 6.5 turbo, DS4, front cover, etc. from the 6.5 in the GMC? The red block motor runs great and is now just about broken in. I know I would need to use a turbo oil feed line from by the oil filter, serp. water pump, and other basic stuff. But are there major difference that would make this a bad move? This would save me some $$ and get the GMC back on the road sooner. Thanks for your thoughts.
    Randy
    2006 GMC 2500HD Duramax Allison Crew

Wink

To use the electronic fuel injection system, you'll need the 6.5's aluminum front cover with the CKP sensor and you'll need to install the crankshaft timing chain sprocket with the reluctor wheel. And, you'll need the 6.5 harmonic damper.

Unless you use 6.5 heads, you'll need to create a spacer to space the passenger side exhaust manifold out ~1/4" to create a little more clearance between the exhaust manifold and the 6.2L injector fuel lines.

The stock 6.2L piston crowns aren't coated, so you'll need to run with a lower max EGT. The 6.2L Banks Sidewinder turbo kit manual indicates 1100 degrees EGT (measured in the exhaust manifold) is the max for the 6.2. The 6.5 can run with up to 1250.

Jim

Default Thanks

I'll use the cover and other specific 6.5 parts off of the GMC 6.5. My 6.2 is bored .040 over and has 6.5 heads already. My Mahle pistons are ceramic coated. I used a girdle on the bottom end and the thing is balanced. I have a gear drive and the folks at DSG said I could purchase their reluctor. Anything else to think about?
    2006 GMC 2500HD Duramax Allison Crew

Sounds like you've got everything covered. However, I would leave the turbo oil feed line off the turbo, then crank the engine (with the fuel shut-off solenoid unplugged) till you see oil run out the line. This'll ensure good lube soon after startup, and verify that you have adequate supply.

Jim