Thread: Engine Starting Speed

Cool Engine Starting Speed

I have a problem related to starting, not fuel, batteries or cables. All those have been checked and or replaced. My problem is that for the last 6 weeks or so I have noticed what I think is slower engine RPM during the starting process. This led to replacement of batteries and the alternator. While they all tested bad, it did not fix the problem. The engine consistently makes two to three rounds and starts and runs fine just noticibly slower starting speed. My question is before I spend the money for a new starter does any one know of a way to truley test the starter drive for a low torque high current draw situation. The symptom is slower starting RPMs and starter motor noise that sounds labored what ever that means.

Currently 199450 miles.
    Original Starter.

Thanks in Advance for your help
    Last edited by sykeslw; 03-20-2008 at 16:47. Reason: Footer Wrong
    1995 C2500 6.5TD
    Daily Driver
    FSD Cooler
    HV Oil Pump
    Cooling Upgrade
    210K+

Smile Problem Resolved

Finally realized this was a lot easier than I thought. Went to Advance Auto parts and they have a new analyzer that does a good job of evaluating the electrical system. In testing my system, found starter current draw to be high as I suspected. Bought new OEM starter, installed, boy what a difference, my old starter must have been going down for a while. I can't remember when it cranked so well. Replaced the other 4 glow plugs while tore down everything is OK now. Thanks to all.
    1995 C2500 6.5TD
    Daily Driver
    FSD Cooler
    HV Oil Pump
    Cooling Upgrade
    210K+