Thread: heating oil vs diesel

Default heating oil vs diesel

What is the difference between diesel and home heating oil?
    I read some where that someone was burning home made bio in his truck and in his furnace. I would be willing to try it in the home and what ever was left mabey toss some in the rig now and again.
    2000 Chevy C/K 3500 crew cab srw 8' bed & cap,
    4" exhaust, 3" down pipe, K&N air filter, modified air box, relocated PMD on custom heatsink, #9 resistor, 2.5" stainless crossover, SSdiesel 80hp reflash ECM, EGT and boost guages, 3" body lift, 7.5' meyers poly plow

Hi
    The bigest difference used to be the amount of taxs placed on the road diesel.Since 06 sometime,the road diesel became sulfer free,where home heating fuel probly still containes sulfer,which will wreck the new regen exhaust systems.
    I think that bio can be used in your home furnac,i would try straight vegi oil in my house,but i use it in my shop furnace,i burnt about 450 Can gals in mine this winter,i do have a waste oil furnace but noticed that the vegi burnt cleaner and produced less ash.
    To burn it straight in a house furnace i would have the tank inside and mabey run the line around your hot water heater to thin it a bit,i have my hot water tank in my furnace room so it made sence to me.
    Let us know if you try it.
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Default know what I mean?

My tank is outside underground 300 gallon with new furnace and heat pump put in this past summer old one was 29 years old so big improvement but still would like to save money any way i can. I dont drive the rig much just to tow my boat or haul wood and such as I burn a wood stove as much as I can to offset heating oil cost. Any little bit helps know what I mean?
    4" exhaust, 3" down pipe, K&N air filter, modified air box, relocated PMD on custom heatsink, #9 resistor, 2.5" stainless crossover, SSdiesel 80hp reflash ECM, EGT and boost guages, 3" body lift, 7.5' meyers poly plow

I've always thought that the grease conversion stuff would work better for home heating fuel than for vehicle fuel - you wouldn't need to worry about all of the systems they use to warm up the grease as your house will already be warm and I'd suspect that the "fuel injection" on a furnace is a lot more forgiving than that for a vehicle...
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

I think it would work in the furnace with out any problems. It is not computerised like the truck just a sensor that tells it whether the fire lite up or not I think at least that is how the old furnace was. The way I look at it if it can spray it, it should be able to burn it.
    Any one else tried this?