Thread: leveling kit

Default leveling kit

is any one running a a front leveling kit and/or a rear add a leaf for suspension lift? i would like to go up 2 in and was wondering if this was a good cost effective way to do it.... thanks
    Sold: 98 2500 ext cab long bed 4x4 auto 166k, Lubrication Specialties oil cooler, FSD cooler, Walking J "feed the Beast" mod, Heath HD lift pump, SSdiesel turbo back exhaust, Heath mechanical boost controller, Softtopper camper top, boost, egt, fuel pressure gauges

1970 El Camino SS, built 355, aluminum heads, Lunati cam, intake, 800 cfm edlebrock, Tremec 5 spd, QA1 Coil over all around, Wilwood discs up front, 3.73 Posi 12 bolt, Viper Red

2012 Audi A3 TDI- Love it! 45 mpg!

well, sure it's kinda cost effective

but it isn't that nice to the CV shaft due to the increased angle they have to endure
    I wouldn't go for it, but thats me
    1991 CK2500, 6.2 banks turbo, FourtGear built TH700R4, Dick Cepek 6.5" lift, 35" wheels

They will also stiffen the ride
    '83 K20 Suburban
    N/A 6.2, 700r4 non-lockup, Racor secondary filter
    Overload airbags

are they any worse than the "real" suspension lift kits?
    Sold: 98 2500 ext cab long bed 4x4 auto 166k, Lubrication Specialties oil cooler, FSD cooler, Walking J "feed the Beast" mod, Heath HD lift pump, SSdiesel turbo back exhaust, Heath mechanical boost controller, Softtopper camper top, boost, egt, fuel pressure gauges

1970 El Camino SS, built 355, aluminum heads, Lunati cam, intake, 800 cfm edlebrock, Tremec 5 spd, QA1 Coil over all around, Wilwood discs up front, 3.73 Posi 12 bolt, Viper Red

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Kmehr View Post
    are they any worse than the "real" suspension lift kits?
    Yes. A lot. A "real" lift kit will lower the front diff, to keep the CV joint angles and spring rates within spec.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

guess that means I'll just have to go even bigger....

opto, I looked at the lift you have on your truck, why is that lift only available for model years 88-91? What is the difference in components between a 98 and a 91? thanks

well it fits 88-98, but only 6-lug trucks, not 8 lug

http://www.extremesuspensions.com/st...x.php&cPath=22
    1991 CK2500, 6.2 banks turbo, FourtGear built TH700R4, Dick Cepek 6.5" lift, 35" wheels

going to reveal my ignorance here, but other than the number of lugs, what is the difference between the 6 and 8 lugs trucks? I wonder if there is any way to modify the kit to fit an 8 lug.

the centersection is different, a little bit bigger, defenetly stouter, although I think it wouldn't be to hard to make it fit, I'm going to put one in my truck soon

What is a bit more complicated is that the upper control arms are different, they are wider at the frame end, they are also more level since the knuckles are higher

the way to make this fit is to fabricate new upper control arms, something I will be looking into in the future

reson for these mods is I broke three of the weaker centersections already

Thanks opto, I sent them an email to see how difficult it would be, i will let you know what they say if you are interested. I know a lot of kits make you cut some stuff off the frame, did you have to do any of that on your 91?

I had to cut a piece of the rear mounting tap for the centersection, not a big deal

I also had to trim some fins off the centersecion

have you done much wheeling with it? How has it held up? I don't do a lot now, but probably will do quite a bit in the not too far future. I am weighing that vs. a solid axle swap. I know it would cost a bit more, and gathering the parts would be a mess, but from what I have seen the install looks fairly comparable to installing a tuff country lift, which is the other lift I am considering. The offroad unlimited kit looks fairly straight forward.

I've broken the 6-lug centersection 3 times and some driveshafts

I'm planning for the 8-lug centersection, but I know those shafts are an issue aswell, so I'm planning for some custom shafts in the future.

I don't want to do a SAC because I use it as a daily driver too

not so long ago I read about a really nice SAC kit in petersens4x4 or fourwheeler, it was with radius arms, search for it and have a look at it if you're planning fo a SAC

sweet, thanks for the info. I really wan to lift it, and the way I figure it is that I will regret not doing the solid axle in the future. My buddy with a 4runner who put together a lift himself is now really regretting not doing it.