Thread: tailgate latch failure

Unhappy tailgate latch failure

I was helping a friend move yesterday(funny how many friends you have when you have a pickup) and he apparently applied a little too much force to the tailgate latch when he tried to open it and something failed. The latch handle is loose on the driver's side and won't release the tailgate now and the backing plate (plastic) is loose. I notice three bolt heads on the inside of the tailgate that most likely hold things in place. before I go to the stealer, does anyone have any experience with repairing/replacing this?
    Thanks,
    Charlie
    \'02 GMC SLT 2500HD CC SB 4X4<br />Westin Chrome Step Bars/Extang Classic Platinum Tonneau/Ameraguard sprayed bedliner<br />Bilsteins/Fumoto

Arrow

Probably broke one of the plastic rod retainers. It's a plastic piece that attaches the release rod to the handle mechanism. Replace them both while you are in there (L and R are different, IIRC, so buy one for each, and 2 more for later). DO NOT remove those bolts (tailgate will fall apart). You should be able to replace the retainer(s) with nimble fingers or the aid of a needle-nose plier and/or a screwdriver, with the bezel removed. Insert the plastic piece into the hole, insert the rod into the plastic piece, then rotate the plastic piece onto the rod to lock it. The bezel should be firm on the gate. If it's loose, look for a bent or broken plastic tab on it. It should snap firmly into place.

The dealer should have these in stock for a couple bucks. I don't know if there's an aftermarket replacement. After you get it/them, please reply with the part number(s).

I know what you mean about all the friends you have when you have a pickup. But, don't blame them. Those retainers break, even without help.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    Probably broke one of the plastic rod retainers. It's a plastic piece that attaches the release rod to the handle mechanism. Replace them both while you are in there (L and R are different, IIRC, so buy one for each, and 2 more for later). DO NOT remove those bolts (tailgate will fall apart). You should be able to replace the retainer(s) with nimble fingers or the aid of a needle-nose plier and/or a screwdriver, with the bezel removed. Insert the plastic piece into the hole, insert the rod into the plastic piece, then rotate the plastic piece onto the rod to lock it. The bezel should be firm on the gate. If it's loose, look for a bent or broken plastic tab on it. It should snap firmly into place.

The dealer should have these in stock for a couple bucks. I don't know if there's an aftermarket replacement. After you get it/them, please reply with the part number(s).

I know what you mean about all the friends you have when you have a pickup. But, don't blame them. Those retainers break, even without help.
    Thanks, Mav. Sounds like something I can handle. I did find a place selling the entire handle assembly at ~$20, but sounds like I don't need it. I'll check with the dealer's parts dept and see what they say. I'll post p/n's.
    Charlie
    \'02 GMC SLT 2500HD CC SB 4X4<br />Westin Chrome Step Bars/Extang Classic Platinum Tonneau/Ameraguard sprayed bedliner<br />Bilsteins/Fumoto

Arrow

$20 for the handle assy is cheap. However, if it's a packaged part (new, not a take-off), it probably won't include the retainers (the part you need). The OEM replacements don't come with them. If a body shop is more convenient for you, they should have them as well.

If you use your tailgate release often, and can't install a new retainer soon, you can insert the rod in the hole, and secure it with a wire tie (zip tie). Don't leave it like that long, though. The metal to metal contact will wear through the rod and/or latch over time (that's why they use the plastic retainers), just from vibration alone. Also, if you get into the door latch and lock mechanisms, they'll have the same or variations of the plastic part.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Exactly why I don't like other to open/close my tailgate.
    Don't remember the P/N for the clips but it was less than $5.00
    2007 Chevy Classic LBZ, CC, SB. 4X4

GM Tailgates have been this way for three generations.
    Always!!! push in on the gate as you pull the latch and you will get much more life out of the plastic retainers.
    I am a contractor and use the gate all the time.
    Just try ity once and you can fell the difference.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo Whiskey 21 View Post
    GM Tailgates have been this way for three generations.
    Always!!! push in on the gate as you pull the latch and you will get much more life out of the plastic retainers.
    I am a contractor and use the gate all the time.
    Just try ity once and you can fell the difference.
    The late model GM trucks ('99+ 1500/2500, '01+ HD/3500) have different latches than previous trucks. The latch is similar to vehicle door latches, not the door bolt types. Same plastic retainers, though. On the newer style, the latch rods are passive during closure (no backlash). The retainers just fail, as they always have.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A