Thread: My 6.2L is unable to start

Default My 6.2L is unable to start

I own a military 1986 Chevrolet K5 blazer with a 6.2L Diesel in
    it. My 6.2L suddenly one day couldn't start, It cranks over and while doing that white smoke spurts out the exhaust. I'm assuming it's the glow plugs but, I'm not sure because I'm new to diesels. Did any body have that similar problem, any exlanations why it's not starting? I just bought this vehicle a month ago and leave at work as a play truck. I take it for a off-roading joyride 2-3 times a week but unfortunately it stopped starting one day. Was I set up by the guy I bought it from? I hope not. Any help will do. Mahalo

If it has an engine block heater, try plugging it in for a few hours. If it then starts more or less normally, then the starting problem is likely due to the glow system.

I recommend converting the mil-spec 24V glow systems to what is used in the civilian models. Easier to troubleshoot and buy parts for.

Jim

Arrow

If this truck is just a weekend beater, do yourself a favor and dump the glowplug controller altogether. Set up a manual glow system. Easy to do, and way fewer parts to fail. Less convenient, but you should only need it once on the day you take a drive. A $10 Ford starter relay, momentary switch (push button starter or toggle switch), some wire/connectors/terminals and some time is all you need. My '85 hasn't had a functioning GP controller in 15 years. Glow plugs will last longer, too.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

First off, the military glow plugs on this truck are NOT 24v. They are feed through a dropping resistor, the purpose of which is to allow the vehicle to be started from a 24v truck through the slave receptical. The dropping resistor drops the voltage to ~14v as soon as there is a load placed on it by the glow plugs. Now the problem is when a plug fails there is less resistance in the system and the voltage gets higher, which kills another plug and..... (you can imagine how long the rest will last).

Second, the glowplug controller is a known issue with these trucks, it can fail in the on position and burn out your glow plugs. There is a simple way to just wire up a manual pushbutton and bypass the controller, that is what i suggest.
    1985 M1008
    (k30 for the civi' minded people)
    my photo album
    6.2L (banks turbo installed)
    6" suspension lift
    38.5" ground hawg radials on H1 double-beadlocks
    cross-over steering
    rear disc brakes