Thread: BullyDog?

Default BullyDog?

Been searching but can't find out much about the BullyDog compared to the other programmers. Is it any good? I'm not wanting anything extreme just something to help out with the MPG's. I tow a lot and I notice the BullyDog has a Tow setting, which is I think the lowest setting of the three offered on it. Of course cost is a concern to, don't want to spend a ton of $$. Also don't want to have to mount any switches, boxes or any thing, just maybe reflash it to improve performance/MPG
    Thanks
    2007 Chevy Classic LBZ, CC, SB. 4X4

they do make a good programmer, but when i had it on mine i noticed a little more engine knock and hard shifting, also alot of people have complained about high egts. personally i think they are falling behind a bit, i run the quadzilla stealth tuner and have had great luck w/ that.
    Kyle
    Banks, Edge, PPE, Hypertech, ATS, BD Diesel, Silverline, MBRP, Magnaflow, Mag-Hytec, Air Dog fuel systems, Titan and Transferflow fuel tanks, and many many more.

NutNbutGMC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gillguy View Post
    Been searching but can't find out much about the BullyDog compared to the other programmers. Is it any good? I'm not wanting anything extreme just something to help out with the MPG's. I tow a lot and I notice the BullyDog has a Tow setting, which is I think the lowest setting of the three offered on it. Of course cost is a concern to, don't want to spend a ton of $$. Also don't want to have to mount any switches, boxes or any thing, just maybe reflash it to improve performance/MPG
    Thanks
    I was reading your sig line. I too have the new 2007 LBZ.

My personal opinion, (you ask? )

Leave it alone. There's HP and torque already there. Warranty is for 5 more years, and the only thing that I would do (again just an opinion), the ONLY mod I'd consider is a Kennedy tune with a seperate (interchangable) ECM. Otherwise, I would not put the machine through the psychological shock of jibs and jabs, changes that may or may not throw a code or stress the Allison... etc.. I am being a bit dramatic and sarcastic (in a nice way) but man you've got a nice machine that will do it all, right off the showroom floor. Enjoy it!

None of these machines get MPG that is worth writing home about or even trying to improve. If I had to worry about 1 - 3 more MPG, it's just not worth the hassle. If I could get mine from the standard 15 - 17 MPG up to 25-30 MPG (like my Honda Accord), yea, it would be a no-brainer. But to jump from 15 MPG to 17 MPG (+ / -)....??? Not worth it to me. Strictly my opinion as a non-wrenching owner. After 3 of them, I have concluded that these machines just do not earn the bragging rights of great delivery on MPG.

My second trip to the lake was last night with my new speed limit of 65mph. Yes, i have slowed down in the interest of mpg. when I used to drive at 75 I would get 18-18.5 mpg. Driving at 65 I get 21.0-21.2. This is the second time I have done this with exactly the same results. This is hand calculated and the DIC shows almost the same thing, but just about .3 less mpg. 65 isn't too bad. Just stay in the right land on the interstate and let all of the others pass. I'm happy as I can be. Ed
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

Arrow

Don't you hate it when those damned granola-eatin'-tree-huggers are right? (if you are offended by that statement, I didn't mean you)
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    Don't you hate it when those damned granola-eatin'-tree-huggers are right? (if you are offended by that statement, I didn't mean you)
    Doesn't bother me. I've been slowing down, even around town. Just curious about the BullyDog because several people have been asking me about it, but i don't really know much about it. Know one guy that put it on his Ford and it kept throwing codes. One time it went into limp mode and he was in MO and the dealer there wouldn't work on his truck because it showed up that it was reprogrammed. He eventually got it straightened out. I personally don't want to have to deal with that. and like someone else said I still have several years of warranty left, don't want to loose that! Just trying to learn what I can about them from others who have been there done that.
    Thanks
    2007 Chevy Classic LBZ, CC, SB. 4X4