Thread: Hydrogen Booster -> Fuel Savers-> O2 Sensor

Default Hydrogen Booster -> Fuel Savers-> O2 Sensor

All,
    I have followed numerous 'pre-combustion' catalytic devices over the years and found all greatly lacking in effective increases in fuel economy. I have however been bombarded by various sources close to me concerning 'Hydrogen Boosters' (type into Google or Ebay) and have found some interesting data. Apparently in our modern era of EFI and O2 sensors, all of the pre-catalyst devices were destined for failure as the O2 sensor needs 600C to report 'Ops Normal' to the ECU. A cooler temp instructs to the ECU that more fuel is need to get into the maximum efficiency zone. A hotter temp and a lean is required. Apparently all these fuel saver devices have increased the burn in the chamber to the point that a cooler exhaust was produced forcing the O2 Sensor to crank in more fuel; thereby negating any efficiency gains.
    A few folks have produced some 'breadbox' (read home-made) devices that will fool the O2 into believing it is hotter than it really is, thus the pre-combustion devices may now actually work.
    HAVING SAID ALL THAT: Has anyone installed any of the Hydrogen Booster devices (HHO Gas generators?). I am about ready to begin the journey into installing one along with magnets in conjunction with an O2 sensor fooling device.
    Any Feedback, anybody gone there??
    THX
    Mark Magee
    98 Burb 2500 LT 4x4 VIN G, 4:10's 180K miles, Amsoil Bypass/full flow filters, Turbo Master, Heath ECU Reflash, Duraterm GP's, New Injectors, Walbro FRC-13 LP, 480LE Rebuilt 2X, Vacuum Pump Delete, K&N Filter, Fluid Damper, DTech remote bumper mount PMD, Kennedy Exhaust, Kennedy Fan Clutch, Robertshaw 192F stats, 2.5" Crossover, CAT gutted, Fumoto Drain, Alcoa Centerline Wheels, Ride Rite Airbags.
    2013 Keyston Fuzion 301 Toyhauler 9,100#s empty
    Velocity XLFG N34XL
    Brady Texas Hill Country

Quote Originally Posted by Stratosurfer View Post
    ... A cooler temp instructs to the ECU that more fuel is need to get into the maximum efficiency zone. A hotter temp and a lean is required. ...THX
    Bunk!

O2 sensors need to reach a certain temperature to work, but the output is not proportional to temperature. Once it reaches the necessary temp, the output is proportional to (get this!) the amount of oxygen in the exhaust.

So, all the rest of the "science" is suspect, too...
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Do a web search before spending money. Independent tests with magnets have shown no measurable increase in mileage and hydrogen generators are a net loss in energy. It take a lot of energy to split water into hydrogen. That energy comes from your alternator.

The law of conservation of energy, and the lack of perpetual motion mean that you are burning more fuel (diesel or H2) to create H2.

Now, if you were to carry the H2, instead of generating it onboard, then you have transfered the power requirements elsewhere. Energy is still required, but that energy does not come from your alternator.

I was asked to look into H2 generators and pre-ignition catalysts and the one thing I can be certain of is that they know a hell of a lot about internet marketing. There are literally many dozens of web sites that look like independent reports on these things, but under scrutiny they are all written by the same person. The sites are also owned by the same group. I found no sites that independently confirmed the findings reported by the inventor. Actually, any independent findings were that they did nothing, zip, nada.

Spend your money on producing your own bio diesel.
    Jeffrey Todd
    _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _
    '96 6.5TD GMC Suburban 2500 4x4 - 300,000 miles, JK remote FSD, Dual Thermostats

Default Again I ask, Has Any Installed an HHO Generator?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Bunk!

O2 sensors need to reach a certain temperature to work, but the output is not proportional to temperature. Once it reaches the necessary temp, the output is proportional to (get this!) the amount of oxygen in the exhaust.

So, all the rest of the "science" is suspect, too...
    I believe this is the issue. If a pre-catalyst device such as magnets, or if the HHO gas placed in the chamber effects a more complete (efficient) burn, the the temp to the O2 sensor will drop. As you said, the sensor -equates- temp change to O2 changes and inefficiency. The ECU equates a cold O2 sensor at startup as an engine needing more fuel and vice versa for a hot O2 sensor on startup.
    What you say is correct, once the sensor reaches the operating temp the output is proportional to the amount of oxygen in the exhaust stream. However this only confirms what some of these folks are saying. HHO gas in particular it is claimed produces a -cooler- exhaust stream and therefore the OEM O2 Sensor adds more fuel, negating the efficiency gain.
    Again I ask, has anyone done this and increased fuel efficiency?
    Mark Magee
    98 Burb 2500 LT 4x4 VIN G, 4:10's 180K miles, Amsoil Bypass/full flow filters, Turbo Master, Heath ECU Reflash, Duraterm GP's, New Injectors, Walbro FRC-13 LP, 480LE Rebuilt 2X, Vacuum Pump Delete, K&N Filter, Fluid Damper, DTech remote bumper mount PMD, Kennedy Exhaust, Kennedy Fan Clutch, Robertshaw 192F stats, 2.5" Crossover, CAT gutted, Fumoto Drain, Alcoa Centerline Wheels, Ride Rite Airbags.
    Velocity XLFG N34XL
    Brady Texas Hill Country

Here is a link to gassavers.org where someone built their own HHO generator. I don't know much about this stuff but when I read your post I remembered seeing this. Check it out and see for your self if it looks possible.

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=6895

Default Thanks

Good data, thanks for posting.
    Mark Magee
    Velocity XLFG N34XL
    Brady Texas Hill Country

Me and my buddy put a hydrogen booster on his 97 Cavalier and is getting 47 to 50 MPG!(from 32mpg) and havent got it dailed in yet, still working on improving, I think we can get 60 MPG!
    -96 6.5TD K3500 Crew Cab Dually 4x4, 97 cooling mods, Dmax fan, 3.5" downpipe, 4.5" straight exhaust, intercooler, custom intake plenum, fast idle switch, Ranch Hand bumpers, Turbo Master, egt, boost, & trans gauges, 6" Superlift, K&N off the turbo.
    -88 6.2 3/4 burban 255K
    -83 6.2 CC C30 220K
    -82 6.2 1/2 4x4 burban 270K

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EFFj...eature=related

I am waiting for the first amatuer built 'hydrogen car' to fill the passenger compartment with Brown's Gas while the owner is away, and then blow up when the door is opened, or something creates a spark. Maybe it will be these guys...

Check out this generator. Should be enough to level a whole house if used improperly...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJBQUM52dhw&NR=1
    Last edited by Mark Rinker; 06-01-2008 at 11:48.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Quote Originally Posted by HANK1948 View Post
    Me and my buddy put a hydrogen booster on his 97 Cavalier and is getting 47 to 50 MPG!(from 32mpg) and havent got it dailed in yet, still working on improving, I think we can get 60 MPG!
    Gotta raise the flag on this one.

You are claiming a 50% increase in mileage. If this technology really works, maybe you can explain something to me...

All major auto makers are under huge pressure to up their mileage numbers. If this works so well, how come none of them haven't jumped and made these devices standard equipment? It isn't like this is new technology - it has been around for decades.

Let me ask this - would your "friend" be willing to allow one of us to tag along on a test drive and prove the mileage claims?
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

I would be interested in learning the results of the real world "test" drive too. I keep remembering the old addage, if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is...
    2007 Silverado, 3500HD, 4X4, CC, Long Bed, SRW, LMM Diesel, Navi, DVD, Roll-N-Lock Cover, ICI Running Boards, CoastalEtech GM Lockpick for DVD/Nav changes in Motion, Back-up Camera...

2006.5 VW Jetta Special Edition TDI - Blue Graphite - European Spec VW Fact. Nav Radio.

Thumbs down Spammer - Selling Snake Oil

Quote Originally Posted by JeepSJ View Post
    Gotta raise the flag on this one.

You are claiming a 50% increase in mileage. If this technology really works, maybe you can explain something to me...

All major auto makers are under huge pressure to up their mileage numbers. If this works so well, how come none of them haven't jumped and made these devices standard equipment? It isn't like this is new technology - it has been around for decades.

Let me ask this - would your "friend" be willing to allow one of us to tag along on a test drive and prove the mileage claims?
    This post showed up simultaneously in several threads in multiple forums worded exactly the same and is obviously someone shilling a hydrogen kit. It has been pretty much universally ignored in every post as it made an unreasonable claim right out of the box.
    Tom Ashley 2004 6.0 2500HD/Silverado CC/SB/4x4