Thread: Cold Air Intakes and Electric Fans

Default Cold Air Intakes and Electric Fans

I was just wondering what, if any, cold air intakes work. Which are the best bang for the buck for improving fuel economy and pulling power? The second part of my question is about the electric fan setup from flex-a-lite? Is it worth it? Does any of these add-ons help? My 04.5 LLY already has a turbo back w/o cat 4" MBRP S.S exhaust. I am looking into a few possibilities for better fuel economy and pulling power. Thanks.

I have a big cat-back MBRP, too, as well as an S&B intake. Neither of these made a noticeable difference in power or economy. If I had put them in, both at the same time? Don't know.
    I've also been wondering about electric fans. There have been numerous posts in here, with lots of speculation, but I don't recall that anyone has come up with a definitive answer as to how they will work out over the long haul. I suspect that the electrics wouldn't move enough air for a D-Max pulling over 14K or so at higher altitudes in hot weather. That is about the only factor that's keeping me from ordering the fans right now. I hate the roar when I'm climbing a hill in the heat, and that OE fan kicks in.
    Can't help but believe that you'd see a noticeable increase in mileage with the electrics. Even when the fluid drive is just ideling, it moves a lot of air. Got to be some drag there. Maybe your post will prompt someone with experience to come in here with some comments.
    Dick Wells
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

I don't recall who checked it out, but the stock fan moves so many more CFM's that no electric comes close. That being said one wonders if you didn't have to use the extra power to turn the stock fan going up the mountain, would the best dual electric fan setup be sufficient. I do hope someone chimes in if they have made the switch. Inquiring minds want to know.
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.

Default Tried elec. fans in my '96 Burban

If you look on here in the readers rigs section you will see a write up I did on my Burban. In that article I listed Evans coolant and the Flex-a-Lite dual fan set up.

I was talked into them by a member who I believed because he was convinced it would work. I really never saw the truck running as cool with them on and it would even run 205 - 210 at times, which the line was that the engine is more efficient at those temps.

I ended up buying a DMax fan (from John Kennedy) that fit the hub on my 6.5 engine. I can tell you the truck on high idle would blow my pantlegs around when standing next to the door at the outside mirror. I never felt this amount of air when the elec fans were running.

My experience, others may tell a different story, but that is "my experience" with the electrics.

I would not do it again.

Mike
    07 Silverado 2500HD LT3 D/A CC SB, Astro cap, all in Blue Granite Metallic. H2 chrome wheels with 265/70-17 Pirelli Scorpions. Autometer Boost and Pyro mounted overhead. Luverne stainless nerf bars, BedRug, PML trans pan and high cap diff cover.

03 Cardinal 31BH travel trailer weighing in at 9600# loaded and ready to go.

2 x 07 Sea Doo GTX PWC's, 3 Passenger and able to tow skier, tube, etc

02 VW Jetta GL TDI automatic, 42 MPG winter, 47 summer, 96K.

00 VW Jetta GLS TDI 5 speed, Rocket Chip 3 Euro with hi flow injectors. 48 MPG winter, 54 MPG summer. 142K.

If I were equipping a truck for fuel economy - and for non/light towing, electric fans would likely produce some economic benefit.

If you tow heavy, you're better off with the stock engine-driven fan. The stock fan can pull up to 10,000-CFM when the engine is turning 3,000-RPM. The electrics pull about 6,000 when fully energized. So, if you run at 2000-RPM, the electric fans and the engine-driven fan move about the same amount of air.

Running at night with a big travel-trailer, and with the A/C & fans on could make your stock alternator cry out in agony.... A single high-cap alternator or a dual alt setup might be a good choice.

Jim