Thread: Can I use Fuel Oil for my 98 TD

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The 98 truck you own has an optical sensor in the injection pump.

I have been told that these will not be effected by the dye in the off road fuel, BUTTTTTTTT I am not absolutely sure.

Mixing in maybe 30% along with ULSD should be fine. As has been mentioned the cetane is probably low but additive will help.

Be sure to filter the stuff through a 2 mic filter in case there is crap in it.

Rust, water and such will lay on the bottom of the tank and be fine as long as you don't disturb it.

What can happen though is there is an algae that can grow in diesel and it will foul up filters real good.

Bottom line is filter it with a 2 mic and dont use it straight on an electronic IP and you should be able to use this stuff up and benefit from the BOOTY.

Now this said, the issue of the tax is certainly one to consider. Large class 8 trucks get their tanks dipped by the IRS in supprise inspections and the penalty for having dyed fuel is stiff. $10,000.00 the last time I heard even if its only a trace amount in the fuel.

The tanks on pickups and such are so tough to get into but if they decide to pop an inspection I would think they would have a way to do it.

I recently had a chat with a long haul trucker that had been nailed by the IRS in a roadside inspection.
    He was on a small town delivery out in some remote area and the regular route was being worked on so there was a detour in place. The detour took him about an hour out of his way and he ran out of fuel 15 minutes from town (In the middle of the road)

A nice farmer came along and pumped in a few gallons of RED Off road and the trucker made it to town only to get nailed at the scales on the edge of town for an inspection and they also dipped his tanks. OOOOOOOOOOPS RED fuel.

Hmmm now he has a $10K fine to deal with and the feds dont give a rip about his running out of fuel and the Farmer and so on.

It can happen but not likely in a small rig

Robyn
    Last edited by Robyn; 05-10-2008 at 07:08. Reason: addition
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY