Thread: Bleeding Brakes

Default Bleeding Brakes

How do i bleed the brakes on my 84 diesel silverado i just changed the brake booster?

Arrow

If you ONLY changed the booster, you don't need to bleed unless you also removed the brake lines from the MC. The booster has no direct connection with the fluid in the MC and lines. If you removed the lines, and only dripped a little fluid from couplers, you may not have to do a full bleed. Remove one front and one rear wheel (not necessarily at the same time), compress the caliper/slave pistons (C-clamps are handy), and this should push out any air that got into the lines, out through the MC reservoir. I suggest you do this, even if you intend a full brake fluid flush. Pushing an air bubble from all the way up top, down and through the wheel bleeders isn't always immediately successful, and can cause a headache of its own, as well as use twice the fluid. Once bled, then do the flush if that is what you want/need to do (I recommend it if it's been more than a couple years since the last time).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com