Thread: Duramax worth it?

This is a question for members who have or had a 6.5 and now have a Duramax, is the duramax pulling power that much better in stock form as to justify getting rid of a paid for 6.5 and enduring payments for the next 5 or so years or can you modify a 6.5 to keep up to a duramax? I just keep hearing stories of duramax trucks pulling 7000 lbs trailers and up and the drivers can't even tell the trailer is there, just would think 100 hp and 100lbs of torque make that much difference.
    1998 Z-71 X-cab 4x4<br />amsoil, 3\" downpipe & exhaust,isspro boost & pryometer,timing at -1.53,<br />duramax 21\" fan,DSG reprgrammed computer,boost controller

Mark,
    What are you going to be doing with your truck, if you need a lot of power now then I'd say yes, otherwise I'd wait still some bugs in DMax that need working out, plus not many used ones available to knock the price down.

I think demand/availability is such that most dealers won't deal as they can get just about whatever the market will bear for them, as far as power goes I've driven a couple of them what we can max out a 6.5 to without going crazy dual turbos etc. is where you start with a Max, you can get 100+ Hp more in a Dmax just by plugging in a box,

Word of caution don't test drive one it's addictive I'm struggling with the same decision, my dealer called me he has a new Red 04 just in on his lot, trying to convince me to trade in the 98 6.5 for it.
    Tim, 98GM K1500 6.5TD(L56/L65), Heath PCM,3.73 gear,4L80 tr,4" exh,Amz air filt&dual oil flts, Heath remote FSD, TDO-7 clone turbo, Heath fan clutch,mandrel crossover, pilar gage BST/EGT/TRN, remote elec fan tran cool,alum trn pan

Is it worth it? No. But things that bring pleasure in life rarely are. They are way overpriced, as are the other brands, and all vehicles for that matter. They set the price, we pay it. That's the way the game is played.

If you can get yourself past the $$, there's no contest.

Yes, you can mod a 6.5TD to perform like a stock Duramax, but there is a LARGE area of uncertainty when it comes to reliability and longevity. The Duramax, as well as the entire platform on the 2500HD+, was designed to operate at those levels. Modifying a 6.5TD is possible, but rarely pans out. Some members here have done it. Their trucks will still fall short in other areas. It's not just the engine.

As far as comparison goes, a stock Duramax equipped truck, with a load equal to the stock 6.5TD's limit, is no effort at all. 8000 lbs, IMO, is about the limit of a stock 6.5TD, and about half of the rated capacity of the Duramax truck. The Duramax truck, with 8000#'s, will accelerate, run, and get nearly the same mileage as an unloaded L65, in my experience, anyway. Add some mod's, and the distance between them becomes uncomprehensible.

I still have 3 of the 4 Diesel models GM offered in service. Haven't had a 5.7L for many years. Each has their job, and does well. Cross training is not an option. The old Blazer still gets over 20 MPG, and runs with the best of them in it's class.

Have you looked at used? There are a lot of good Duramax trucks out there at good prices.

Good luck, whichever you choose.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Is it worth it. IMO yes yes yes. I pulled my skid steer with the 98 6.5, about 9-10K with skid steer and trailer with assoerted attachments. With the dmax, you know its there, but it has no problems handling it. It will still accellerate moderatley, but braking and tranny feel are alot better. The 6.5 would just plog along, and hold speed on hills, but not accellerate. I didnt want to get rid of the 98 for the reason that you mentioned. No payment, but repairs were getting expensive and lack of performance made me jump to the LLY.
    Dino

yes it is definitely worth it

i have had two dmaxes and have 5 6.5tds in fleet

the dmax is an entirely diffent experience towing and driving

don't forget the HUGE difference in braking ability, safety, comfort, handling, etc that goes with the engine.

then there's the 6-speed or the allison on top of that.

oh yeah, the comfort and quietness and overall refinement is way improved too

matt
    03 K2500HD HotOJ/JK4\"<br />01 K3500 12kGVW<br />99 Tahoe 6.5TD L65/JK3.5\"<br />98 K3500 6.5TD<br />97 C3500HD 15kGVW 6.5TD <br />96 K2500HD 6.5TD/BD4\"/TTS ECM <br />96 K3500 6.5TD<br />94 C3500 11kGVW<br />Bobcat773/JohnDeere4300/FerrisMowers<br />FJR1300/YZFR1/YZFR6/CBR600F3/XR400

LanduytG Guest

Is it Worth it is up to the individual. I have a 95 6.5 and I like the truck and it pulls well. I don't pull heavy loads only about 9K or so. Its paid for which is a plus. yes it has a new motor because I plained on keeping it and its in excellent condition. My son is graduating in a month from high school. He works construction now and plans to continue with that. He needed a truck to go to job sites so his car wouldn't get trashed. He can't afford a truck so I sold him mine cheap and I am going to be buying a Dmax. If it was not for that I would not be buying one. I know I will like I am sure of that but to have a big payment for a couple of years sucks. So I would say it all depends on if you need more power or are the repairs getting expensive.

Greg

NH2112 Guest

I'd say if your 6.5L does everything you need it to do and isn't about to hit you up for a BIG chunk o' change, then go ahead and keep it. If something does go wrong in a year or 2 you've given GM more time to work out the bugs on new ones, and given current Duramax owners time to trade in for new ones. I personally do NOT trust computers AT ALL, and for that reason alone I wouldn't buy a Duramax (or PSD 6.0L or Cummins) unless someone had a gun to my head AND was giving me the money. Give me my ultra-reliable, 240K mile, 22mpg-getting 6.2L anyday! [img]smile.gif[/img]