Thread: Used Motor Oil As Fuel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Went 150 miles and got a clogged pre- filter in illinois. Horrid emmisions. it works. But I'd advise a good in garage filter set-up with a centrifuge. The dual tank systems get expensive but can pay for themselves. I'm desiging an onboard centrifugal system at the moment. But may not be able to use it until my engine runs.

As some of you know I'm a recovering fuels and lube engineer. I would NEVER add used motor oil (or virgin motor oil, for that matter) into the fuel system. Running the contaminants held in suspension back through the engine just isn't wise.

I do add 2-cycle oil - which is designed to be combusted - into the fuel to compensate for the loss of sulfur's lubricity.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.

Does anybody know how can we determine the presence of used/unused engine oil,base oil , hydraulic oil any kind of oil which is used for lubrication in diesel. I am asking this now we are dealing with sellers who blend this oil with solvents/thinners and sell as diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by petroteks View Post
    Does anybody know how can we determine the presence of used/unused engine oil,base oil , hydraulic oil any kind of oil which is used for lubrication in diesel. I am asking this now we are dealing with sellers who blend this oil with solvents/thinners and sell as diesel.
    I don't know of a test - other than a fuel analysis. However, your nose should be able to tell the difference. Jim

Default 500hp on Used oil Detroit V653T twin turbo- supercharged aluminum block engine

check this out..
    Detroit V653T twin turbo- supercharged aluminum block engine ..
    4x4 chevy 6v53 TT supercharger oil burner...
    Has 140 gal tank, can go 1800 miles on one tank. 500hp.
    Detroit V653T twin turbo- supercharged engine..
    link
    http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4673103375.html

Default Results . . .

"at the same time see if I can source some bulk 10W mineral oil in bulk. If I can get 10W mineral oil in bulk at around $2.00 gallon, taking into account that it requires no processing, I would think this would be a nearly ideal fuel for our 6.5's."

Ever get any results with this, anybody? . . . Bueller? . . .
    1982 K5 Blazer 4wd w/ 6.2 turbodiesel (Banks Sidewinder) w/ rear disk brakes, more to come . . .

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by MajMike View Post
    "at the same time see if I can source some bulk 10W mineral oil in bulk. If I can get 10W mineral oil in bulk at around $2.00 gallon, taking into account that it requires no processing, I would think this would be a nearly ideal fuel for our 6.5's."

Ever get any results with this, anybody? . . . Bueller? . . .
    I've got a pile of US military documents around here somewhere that discuss the use of motor oil mixed with diesel fuel for use in their HMMWVs and other vehicles. In short, the military very strongly discourages the practice.

They said it actually reduces performance because oil/fuel mixes are less combustible than diesel fuel. Other papers cite carbon buildup on pistons and rings as a problem unless the vehicle is used in ways that generate higher exhaust temperatures.

I'd not want to use more than a 50/50 mix, and I'd not want to run it in the winter (too cool exhaust temps to burn efficiently).

Default Mineral oil . . .

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    I've got a pile of US military documents around here somewhere that discuss the use of motor oil mixed with diesel fuel for use in their HMMWVs and other vehicles. In short, the military very strongly discourages the practice.

They said it actually reduces performance because oil/fuel mixes are less combustible than diesel fuel. Other papers cite carbon buildup on pistons and rings as a problem unless the vehicle is used in ways that generate higher exhaust temperatures.

I'd not want to use more than a 50/50 mix, and I'd not want to run it in the winter (too cool exhaust temps to burn efficiently).
    I agree, I would only do so in an emergency (ie. SHTF), what about the mineral oil as mentioned above, any thoughts?
    1982 K5 Blazer 4wd w/ 6.2 turbodiesel (Banks Sidewinder) w/ rear disk brakes, more to come . . .