Thread: Quiet Exhaust for LB7

Default Quiet Exhaust for LB7

I just put an Edge Juice on my 2001 and am thinking now that I need an exhaust and possibly an intake. I tow almost exclusively with the truck and would like to lower my EGTs while towing. They get up around 1300 really easy with the juice on 2 and I think that a bigger exhaust might help. My main concern with getting a new exhaust is that it will make the truck louder. I dont care what the truck sounds like as long as it is quiet in the cab. Is there an exhaust out there that will help lower my EGT and remain as quiet as stock. I would rather stay with the stock exhaust and just take it easy (not easy to do towing up a really big hill) than raise the noise level in the cab at all. Is there anything out there that might fit the bill or am I stuck with stock if I want a quiet cab?

Your Duramax is rated for 1400F EGT - continuous.

While not recommended, don't sweat the peaks, its all about the averages while towing, loaded.

I am moving this thread to the performance forum...
    Last edited by Mark Rinker; 07-19-2008 at 12:45.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Arrow

As a general rule, the larger the muffler, the quieter the exhaust note.

Contact your favorite vendor or manufacturer, and ask about the level of sound produced by their system. Be specific, and be sure to indicate your expectations regarding sound level. I can't think of avendor or manufacturer who would want a dissatisfied customer.

Lastly, "drone" is a sound quality some Duramax owners have mentioned as being more obnoxious than overall sound volume. Corsa, for example, advertises a no-drone muffler, though I've not heard one.

Jim

The quietest exhaust, and a very capable one - is already under your truck.
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali

Default 2002 Lb7

I just installed a Summit Racing of all things, glass pack muffler full 4" exhaust in mine. I too was worried about excessive sound AND DRONE, as I'm slowly out growing the need for "radical sound". The noise level went up, but not to the point where it bothers you in the cab. Power went way up as well. I'm hoping EGT's will lower across the board, as I plan on instaling a diablo predator program
    - Item of interest though: Before the change over, I barely smelled the "diesel" gas. Now it seems MUCH more noticable. Can anyone comment on this?
    Thanks!
    Steve

Default TTS Exhaust

Take a look at a cat back 4" TTS exhaust. It's as quiet as stock and has a 40 inch long muffler. It lowered my egt's when towing by about 100 degrees.
    2005 Chevy 2500HD, CC, SB, 4X4, Duramax, ARE Topper, 60 gallon RDS toolbox/tank combo, Kennedy Headlight Booster, Isspro pyrometer and boost gauges, EGR Blocker, PCV Kit, Bilsteins, 265 Michelin MS-2, TTS Exhaust, pulling 35' Jayco travel trailer.

MTRiverRunner,

I finally installed a 4" MBRP exhaust system on my '02 LB7(no CAT version).It went on ok, but it is too loud at 60 MPH. The drone is very noticeable at 2000 RPM's. There is nothing wrong with the MBRP exhaust, just not what I was looking for. Now I need to figure out if I can come up with a quieter muffler and shorten my piping to fit. I have heard that the Banks system is quiet, bu the cost at the time seemed high. MBRP advised me to try reversing the muffler so that the exhaust gasses will be captured in the loovers. I did this last night and really can't tell any difference. So who's got the quietest 4" muffler on the market? It would also be helpfull if it's on your rig, so I know that you have really heard the noise level while driving.

Thanks.

Shopman426,

Mike.
    <B>2002 GMC SLT</B> Summit White 4x4 Longbox Crewcab 2500HD.<BR>Duramax 6.6L and Allison 1000 Series 5 Speed Auto.<BR>All the Bells and Whistles right down to the heated seats.<P><B>ACCESSORIES</B><BR><LI>Cooper 265x75 16R Tires.<BR><LI>16x8 Typhoon Weld Wheels with aluminum lug covers.<BR><LI>Bars cranked up for 265\'s.<BR><LI>GT Classic Hard Tonneau Cover by Gem Top.<BR><LI>Airlift air bags.<BR><LI>DTA Corp. running boards.<BR><LI>KaydenCo mudflaps front and rear.<BR><LI>Super Custom Camper Mounts.(OK,Home made)<BR><LI>Catch All mats front and rear.<BR>[/list]<P><B>ACCESSORIES to be added</B

Like I said earlier in this post, I just finished putting on a Summit Racing anodized Al full 4" exhaust on my 2002 LB7. It has about a 24" glass pack. Other than that, it's straight through. Had it since Friday now. I get ZERO drone, and the noise is noticibly louder, but by no means too loud or obnoxious. No problem hearing my radio on low or conversation at any RPM.
    Good News: It feels as though it gained way more power in low end, similar mid range, and a touch more at high RPM
    - The only thing I noticed that I do not like at all, is the stench of diesel is now much greater. Idleing at the stoplight, windows down is not exactly enjoyable. Can anyone tell me why it would be so much stronger than before???
    G

If you have fuel smell in the exhaust, its likely an injector sticking. Get some fuel additive through and it might clear up. Otherwise - keep an eye on it, and your oil level for dilution...you might be due for a new set of injectors...