Thread: 4" Exhaust question

Default 4" Exhaust question

Hello to all, I need some advice. I have a Magna Flo 4" cat back exhaust and now think that I should have gone with Turbo back. Is there any place I can find the downpipe that will go from turbo back to where the Cat back starts and do a cat delete? I know J.K. sells an MBRP 4 " down pipe but is this a standard length and would this match up to the Magna Flow system I have? I would like to have an exhaust that meets toghther like it should and not be a frankenstein job. Thanks Its for a 2006 LBZ Crew cab, 4x4, short bed.
    2006 GMC Crew Cab 4x4 LBZ, Magnaflow 4" exhaust, Bullydog triple dog usually on performance.
    I am Not a Hillbilly. I'm an Ozark American

No chimes yet. Ok maybe another approach. How hard is it to take the guts out of the cat this way it will look the same but actually have less restriction?
    2006 GMC Crew Cab 4x4 LBZ, Magnaflow 4" exhaust, Bullydog triple dog usually on performance.

Arrow

A "cat delete pipe" would be the best route. They are about $150 new (call/email Kennedy). I would not suggest destroying a $400 cat. You may need one in the future, if you fail a smog test, or sell the truck.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks for the reply and it sounds like good advice.

Well I ordered an MBRP front pipe Pt # GMS9421 and got rid of the kitty! The new front pipe connected to the 4" cat back system perfectly after I took a saws all to the reducer that formerly met up with the stock exhaust behind the cat. I used a 4" band clamp instead of the guillotine clamp and work perfectly.
    Thought this info would help anyone in the same situation I was in.
    P.S. Also got jumpy and installed EGR blocker and Fingerstick. Also thanks to J.K. for good instructions on both!

Did the pipe help lower EGT's. Did it run better and did it make it any louder or cause any drone in the cab. I was thinking of keeping my stock exhaust system and putting on the cat delete pipe. Thanks

Hey Cowboy, As far as EGT's Im sure it did lower them but I do not have an EGT probe yet. The Cat does restrict it alot! It did help it to run better, it seems to spool up quicker and power is plenty on demand especially at cruising speed.
    It did not make much of a difference under normal driving, maybe a deeper tone but I have a Magna Flow muffler. The pipe is 4" so you would need a reducer to a 3 1/2" if you keep your stock system. Im sure with the stock muffler it would be even less of a difference in sound. Now notice I said normal driving! If you Romp on it, It will get your attention! Sounds Deep and Mean not annoying like glass pack gassers or something. No Drone with mine and I drive from Central Arkansas to Southern Louisiana monthly and I was concerned about that also. At Idle you hear an audible whoosh sound near the tip and you can tell its opened up. If you do it you may want to think about codes being thrown. I put in an EGR blocker and Fingerstick at the same time so I dont know if any codes would have been thrown. With the original Cat back system I had I a code once in 2 yrs but was running it hard and cleared it. Hope this helps ya

In reference to Cowboy's question about the stock exhaust. I also liked the quiet exhaust and only wanted a just a stock size cat delete pipe that would replace the section from the down pipe to the muffler. I never did find one the was the stock 3.5" only 4". I searched ever thread I could find and general look up on search engines but never found one. I went ahead and ordered the Magnaflow turbo back. Before I ordered it I called Magnaflow and asked for the specific part number of a kit that included the down pipe that would make it a true turbo back kit. When I ordered it and it arrived it had everything but the down pipe. Anyone else have this experience with Magnaflo and does anyone know a company that makes or sells a 3.5" cat delete pipe?
    2007 Silverado CC 4x4 SB, D/A LBZ, edge insight w/egt probe, Transfer flow fuel/tool box, BD exh. manifold, Magnaflow T-back 4", more to come.