Thread: P0216 and P1214

Default P0216 and P1214

P0216- injection timing control circuit

P1214- injection pump timing offset

I just put my laptop scan tool on my truck and thats what I came up with. what do I need to do to check what is wrong with the timing?
    Also what would cause this? I did not move the injection pump, does it have something to do with the new injectors? I am running Fuel-Miser injectors.

P0216- injection timing control circuit

This code sets when there's a 5 degree or more difference between Actual injection timing and Desired injection timing. The timing stepper motor on the passenger side of the fuel injection pump extends or retracts, which rotates the cam ring inside the injection pump to alter timing. This code sets when the PCM can't get the timing right.

There have been a couple of instances of frozen stepper motors, but the more likely cause of this problem is a wiring issue. So, look the related wiring for signs of insulation wear-through or faulty electrical connectors.

P1214- injection pump timing offset

The PCM monitors crankshaft position through the CKP (Crankshaft Position) sensor. The CKP info is used to determine the amount of injection timing offset necessary for proper operation. This code will set if the TDC-Offset is greater than +2.46 degrees or less than -2.46 degrees. Sounds like you need to perform a TDC-Offset Learn procedure.

If both of these codes are "hard codes", meaning they return quickly after a reset, I'd solve the stepper motor issue first. The stepper can be replaced without removing the injection pump and there is no alignment procedure following a replacement.

Jim

Ok thanks for the info, I will check the wiring to the stepper motor. Like you said its probably more likely a wiring issue especially since the truck was not setting a code before I started tearing it apart.

Couldn't TDC offset [way] out of range cause the timing error?
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Couldn't TDC offset [way] out of range cause the timing error?
    I suppose, but it would require it to be 5+ degrees out of spec.

If Jrgicehc indicated that he had installed a replacement injection pump or PCM, I would have recommended setting the timing as a first step. It was my assumption that the pump and PCM had been in service for some time, without setting any codes prior to this.

Might not be a bad idea to try to set the injection timing anyway. The process might help to confirm what is wrong with the system. Good call.

Jim

Ok so I did some looking around under the hood and I didnt see anything wrong with the connections. is there a way to tell if this thing is working?

The other thing is I just upgraded my auto enginuity to read the GM specific powertrain. Is there anything in there i can check to help point me in the right direction?

I did not replace the injection pump or PCM. I didnt even replace the PMD, just relocated it.

The stepper motor should activate during the initial startup phase, both to find a reference point and then move to set the startup timing. So, watch the control rod on the stepper motor during a startup (have someone else start the engine). If it moves, it's less likely to be a failure with the stepper.

Jim

Default Timing

Hey All,

I recently got the scanning software from the advertiser on here, works great as far as I can tell. Did the tdco relearn and it ended up at about -1.35. Truck still runs rough. Status flags says my computer is trying to inhibit operation of the Stepper. Actual and desired timing agree. Watched the cold advance solenoid and it moved, a lot. Held it steady and brought the actual timing to about -8 and it ran great. Let it go and the actual timing readout on the dashboard sceen of the program when to around -20 and she runs rough with white smoke. That seems like a lot of advance, if that means -20 degrees before top dead center (its 70 degrees in my garage.) I am fixing to rotate the pump about 2mm to try and get actual timing at about -10. Get back to me if you can. Is this what it would do if it was just way out of timing,? or should I start shooting cold advance solenoid wires. Thank you all and take care.

Also, if you haven't already, you have got to search 6.5 turbo diesel on youtube and watch some of those jokers. Hilarious, didn't see one manual tranny on there.
    JoeX87000031

1994 Chevrolet Silverado
    K3500 6.5L Turbo Diesel
    5 Speed Manual
    Crew Cab Dually
    135000 Miles
    F VIN 10000lbs GVW

Just a bump on this, I was concentrated on getting my fiero straightened out and getting my greasecar kit installed on the truck while I had the open lab space so I havent really dug into this timing control problem any more than what I did over the summer.

heres a few updates....

I had to tow a small trailer with the truck and the performance was terrible and the truck was smoking like crazy. I realized I had a vaccum problem so instead of going with a new vaccum pump I decided to install a mehcanical wastegate actuator and a boost gauge I had lying around. performance was increased and the black smoke under moderate load is gone.

A few weeks later it came time to tow my fiero 230 miles up to school. the weight of the car and the trailer was somewhere around 3800-4000lbs. I had a very hard time holding speed going up hills. I took it easy on most hills and just let it slow down to where it had the power. but I flogged it on one pretty steep hill that was about a half mile long and by the top of the hill I was at 35mph at 7lbs of boost and the pedal was to the floor. A real eye opener for me considering the truck has 4.10 gears and is rated for 10,500.

I am going to try and do what more power said but does anyone else have any input? I also have access to a Tech-2 as I am an automotive major so if anyone thinks i should do any tests with that let me know.

thanks