Thread: Dual rear wheel conversion

markrinker Guest

Has anyone on here converted from single to dual rear wheels?

I purchased the rear end out of the same pickup that donated the motor to truck #2. After paying freight on that heavy beast, I discovered that it was identical in every external measurement and brake aspect to the rear end already under my truck. My repair shop confirmed that the brake hardware and drums are all 'dually' in their parts reference manuals.

Have never owned a dually, never seen the rims apart. How does it go together? Anyone have a set of good dually rims for sale?

I beleive duallys have longer lugs to get both rims on the rear.The front axle has them too and a spacer to make up for the rim offset.I used to have a dually and cant remember what other differences there are.I do know there are kits you can buy,and your axle will definately work.I can look up one for you if you want.
    98 k2500 ext. cab 6.5,4\" Pinnacle exhaust,K&N air filter,4.10 gears \'79 k-30 crew cab 4x4 I-6cyl. (gas) 4.56 gears

Dually axles have a longer spacer attached to the drum. Arrowcraft Products makes conversion kits and wheel spacers to convert SRW trucks to DRW. Phone # (248) 280-0210.
    Dually wheels have a HUGE offset so the offsets can be opposed and bolted together. For instance the outer rear tire and be turned around and used on the front, or inner rear. If you look at the front rotor on a dually, the spacer sticks out fron the rotor 6-8 inches. If it werent so, the tire would make sontact with the inner fender, frame, ect. Also the front tire on a dually , tracks almost between the rears

CareyWeber Guest

Here is all things 14 bolt:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ble/index.html

Carey

Mark;
    I would like to convert my k2500 dually to SRW. I would be interested in some of your parts that you have left. I used to have a similar truck with SRW and liked it better than my dually. The duals make for a much rougher ride and cost a lot more to keep tires on it. I don't need the duals for the loads I carry and pull. Let me know and we could see what we might work out. Any chance your truck is white? I am going to need a different bed or some how remove the flares and make it look decent.

You can either post a reply e-mail me or call me at home after 4PM CDT
    Jeff Metcalf
    jdmetcalf@hotmail.com
    618-445-3881
    '99 GMC K3500 6.5TD Crew Cab dually now SRW, Auto, now 5spd Yeah no more sissy slushbox
    3.73 gears, 235/65 tires
    Pull about 80% of time, mostly 4K lb hilo type camper

Mark;
    I meant my truck is a '99 K3500 dually.
    '99 GMC K3500 6.5TD Crew Cab dually now SRW, Auto, now 5spd Yeah no more sissy slushbox
    3.73 gears, 235/65 tires
    Pull about 80% of time, mostly 4K lb hilo type camper

Mark

I've got 4 PERFECT wheels with ALL the hardware. It's just not reasonable to ship this stuff.

Coming East anytime soon?
    Billy
    '97 CC Dually INTERCOOLED 6.5 - Sold
    '06 Extended Cab/Long Bed LBZ

markrinker Guest

No - but I happen to have truck #3 coming from Rochester, NY to here (Elk River, MN) next week. The shipper is picking it up Monday in fact.

How far are you from Rochester? Would your location be on the way west to Minnesota if the hauler would meet you?

Email mark_rinker@hotmail.com if you think it might be feasible - also what you have and what you need for it.

Not even close...

I'm about 400 miles SouthEast of there.
    Billy
    '97 CC Dually INTERCOOLED 6.5 - Sold
    '06 Extended Cab/Long Bed LBZ

Another difference between SRW and DRW is how the wheels mount. If you have messed with duallies you already know this. Dually wheels are hub-centric, meaning they rely on a very precise fit at the hub to determine the centering and bearing of the wheel when mounted. The lug nuts are not tapered into the rim (the rims are flat on both sides). Chevy has used a ring between nuts and wheels while Ford uses flat washered nuts.
    SRW trucks have a fairly good fit at the hub, but the lugs are tapered into the rims, helping to positively locate.
    Be very careful when getting spacers. I ordered a set of aluminum spacers for my '85 K30 dually from somebody out west, and they were just flat disks with holes to mount to existing lugs and lugs to mount the outer rim. There was nothing to center the rim! Too much play in lug holes. I can't remember the company, but my friend's F350 had steel spacers with a ring sticking out to catch the outer rim. Very strong. Chevy's have a different hub diameter and the only way to make those spacers work for me would have been to use Ford outer rims.
    But that old K30 was a gasser so I sold it and now I'm burning oil!
    Norm<br />1995 K3500 Crew Cab SRW/Util.Body<br />L65 6.5TD, 4L80E, 4.10, LT265/75R16E, K+N air filter/box mods, Firestone Air Bags, JK Fan Clutch/Fan, 3\" exhaust