Thread: help with 1/8 mile times

Default help with 1/8 mile times

ok guys, brought the 01 to the dragstrip last week and was a little dissapointed w my times.truck is an 01 4x4 x cab sb. 230k, 4" mbrp exhaust, kennedy boost valve, k&n drop in filter w kennedy air box mods,and a diablosport predator on the highest setting 120hp.i removed the tailgate and ball from the hitch,i also lowered the front w the torsion bars, removed r/f headlight for more air and lowered tire pressure in rear to 30#.launched in 4wd t/h mode at ABOUT 12 POUNDS OF boost.my best time follows 60 FT. 1.9880 330FT. 6.0059 1/8 ET 9.3978 1/8 MPH 74.02 AM I UNREALALISTIC IN THINKING THIS TRUCK COULD RUN HIGH 8'S any help is appreciated going back in a few weeks to try again
    #1 01 dmax xcab 251000 miles and climbing
    #2 06 dmax crew cab 66000 miles 2009 polaris dragon 800sp 89 suzuki 500 quadracer

Arrow

Running the high HP level requires several passes to get the tranny to cooperate. Shifts should firm up and get quicker. Be very careful if your tranny and TC is still stock, though. In T/H, the TC will lock up, then slip in 4 and 5 (you should still be in 4 @ 74 MPH). You have the power to run 8's, but the tranny won't let you do it, yet. Try some 2wd launches (trac bars help). Depends on how serious you are. What tire size, ply, brand and tread?
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

thanx maveric the tires are 265 75 16 uniroyal awt, e rated 10 ply basically a highway tread. i wondered how the tranny would handle it if i wasnt in t/h mode. seems as though the truck really starts to go at the end of the strip, i assumed it was fifth but i didnt count the shifts. just figured regular mode would let it upshift quiker.yes tranny and tc are still stock and it sounds as though i'm at my power limit without an upgrade so i guess i'll hold off on the water /meth kit. 2wd would b hard to get off the line i think. was a kid there runnin 2wd 10.1 et 1/8 mile w a ppe tuner
    Last edited by lb7lbz; 09-13-2008 at 19:07. Reason: forgot something
    #2 06 dmax crew cab 66000 miles 2009 polaris dragon 800sp 89 suzuki 500 quadracer

I agree with DM, getting the transmission's adaptive learn adapted to the new way of driving takes time, and I know a few prep runs can take a full second or more off the 1/4 mile times.

Jim

Arrow

There's not much you can do, but practice. You can get fast 2wd times, but it takes much practice to get the power to the ground, at the right time. Launches are critical. Much depends on the track, tires, and your suspension (trac bars). 4wd launches are easy and pretty much fail-safe (as far as getting moving). Problem is, it comes at a cost. Front end components start to go away after a while. Upgrades are a must with repeats. Start with www.bulletproofsteering.com. Same for the tranny. ATS or Suncoast will need a call from you. How fast do you want to spend?
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

thanx for the help guys. i'm only going to drag it once or twice more this season, and i dont mind upgrading the steering parts over the winter. how about the transfer case?how do they hold up to these 4wd launches? i just replaced mine a month ago, not cheap dont want to do it again soon. as far as transmission goes there seems to be no cheap fix but just to do it right the first time so i'll start saving for next year and hope she holds up to the eight or ten passes i put on it this year.guess i'll drive the truck around a little bit before i go to the track to try to help the tranny learn, if there is anything else you guys can think of please let me know. p.s. i beat up on an 05 f-350 6.0 w the full banks kit ram air hood etc. last time i was there,he was even madder when he found out my truck had 230k on it. ha ferds

i dont mind upgrading the steering parts over the winter. how about the transfer case?
    As long as you have full engagement when selecting 4WD, it's really hard to damage the transfer case or front differential. Engage the txfer case at some point in the staging lane, then make a couple turns before pulling up to the lights to ensure the 4WD is fully engaged. It'll hop and tug while turning in 4WD. This lets you know it's engaged. Things are easy to break if 4WD is not fully engaged and you begin spinning the rear tires.

Jim

thanx for the tip on the 4wd thats pretty much what i was doing besides the turning part.what are u guys thoughts on not running the truck in t/h mode? I figured it would upshift quicker allowing me to get to 4th&5th faster.however i know t/h mode ups line pressure and locks the tc so i dont want to do this and ruin my tranny,didnt know if u guys had any experience with that.