Thread: New member from Alabama

Default New member from Alabama

I am new here, and wanted to show off my latest project. I am putting a 38K mile turbocharged CUCV 6.2L in a '67 C-30 dually pickup. GM didn't make dually pickups with a bed until 1973, so I shortened the frame, fabbed the rear fenders using stepside fenders from the same vintage, and changed rearends to achieve the look. I am putting a 38K mile Military CUCV 6.2L using 6.5TD turbo and manifolds. I am using a DSG main girdle, a turned up 4911 IP, a set of Herzog 6.5TD marine injectors, manual adjustable boost controller and a SS Diesel Supply fast heats. I have a Warpspeed crossover pipe, and I'm going to build a custom madrel bent 4" exhaust system. I will also be adding an intercooler. I'm going to run a NP435-GA tranny and a put in a posi-lock'd 14 bolt out a '97 C3500. I engine is painted Detroit Alpine Green and I built a custom pressure chamber for it out of a '70 Porsche air cleaner. I painted EVERYTHING green like they did they did on the old Detroits and still do on equipment and implement engines. I made some custom Detroit Diesel 8V-47T (even though it was never really called that) decals for it. It looks pretty old school and different. Below I have a link to my build thread below on another site. I will post more progress pics as I get them. I'm planning on painting the truck black with chrome bumpers and grill trim.

I bought an 2000 updated 6.5 block yesterday, and plan on building a 18:1 6.5 when I get done with this truck, so I'll be here doing lots of research and asking lots of questions!

Here is some pics.

Here's a few of the pressure chamber, the Warpspeed crossover pipe vs the stock piece, and few pics of the updated 6.5 block.

Welcome. Nice truck. It looks like you have put a lot of work in to it. It will definitely be one of a kind. Even though the the 6.2 never used the detroit colors or lingo, I think it contributes to the vintage theme well. I guess a 6.5 would be a 8V-49T? Keep us posted on your progress.
    1998 K1500 Silverado Ext Cab SB 6.5TD L56 4L80E 342 locking rear - 60k miles
    Modifications: Ported and ceramic coated exhaust manifolds, worked GM-8 turbo, L65 upper and lower intake, marine injectors, boost, EGT, and Trans Temp gauges, SSDiesel air intake, Hearthrob/SSDiesel stainless 3in down pipe, 4in exhaust, and 2.25 crossover.
    Planned: Remapped ECU, intercooler, turbomaster, fluidamper, fan/clutch upgrade, upgraded oil cooler and lines, and lift.

Thumbs up

Nice project! I've always liked the 67-72 style trucks.

The crankcase vent pipe fitting shown in the following pic can't be used. You'll need to plumb in a crankcase vent fitting upstream from the turbo compressor - usually in the boot between the air filter and the turbo compressor. Jim

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post

The crankcase vent pipe fitting shown in the following pic can't be used. You'll need to plumb in a crankcase vent fitting upstream from the turbo compressor - usually in the boot between the air filter and the turbo compressor. Jim
    It would be a good place to weld or clamp a boost tap fitting, though (or a water or NOS jet).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thumbs up

Hey man! It's high time you showed up around here! I remember your project from the 67-72 forums, which I haven't been on in a while.

There's lots of great info around here, and don't forget to cruise around the member's areas. There's lots of info besides the forums.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post

Thanks guys!

Yes, I've got a steel bushing with 1/8" NPT threads welded in from the inside. I plan on running my boost there like DmaxMaverick suggested. I have 3" turn down that I'm going to tap the the CDR valve hose into and mount a K&N cone on. I am going to try to get it angled below the battery and pull in some cool air in from some vents in the radiator support. After I get all the intercooler hoses, etc., plumbed in its going to look very different from a normal 6.2/6.5. The pressure chamber inlet will clocked around to driver's when the I/C is installed and that will place the boost gauge bung to the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by arveetek View Post
    Hey man! It's high time you showed up around here! I remember your project from the 67-72 forums, which I haven't been on in a while.

There's lots of great info around here, and don't forget to cruise around the member's areas. There's lots of info besides the forums.

Casey
    Casey, I wondered what happened to you. I have your build and picture site bookmarked, and actually decided to go with the stud girdle based off of your info.

Quote Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
    Casey, I wondered what happened to you. I have your build and picture site bookmarked, and actually decided to go with the stud girdle based off of your info.
    I'm still around!

I just don't have much time to surf the forums like I used to. I pretty much stick to the 'Page, the 'Place, and the Jeep forums.

Sounds like your air filter system is going to end up a lot like mine!

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1155...29465272YxFOtR

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1155...29465272OhWnkU

My old 6.2L is still running great. I just put a new torque converter in the 700R4 a few weeks ago, and everything is in top shape again. However, the body is really aging...lots of little nicks, dings, rust holes, and some major dents. She got beat up a bit in a Tornado back in May. She's pretty much just my old work truck right now.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

I like the Detroit 8V-47T designation
    Is that an official military designation for the little beast or ????????
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

No, its just something I thought up. I have always loved the old 2 stroke Detroits, and I really wanted a 6V-53T for this truck, but I never run up on one that was close enough and priced right. I have had several 6.2/6.5's trucks, and have had good luick with all of them. That coupled with ease of installation made my mind up for me. During the parts collection phase I stumbled up the Detroit Diesel alpine green at a parts store, and I starting thinking about painting it green and came up with the 8V-47T designation. This truck is going to have several little details that a lot of people would never notice if they are not familiar with 67-72 trucks. One thing that is going to be cool is that I'm mounting a factory choke knob to a button to control the glow plugs. To crank the truck in the morning, you'll still have to pull the choke knob for a few seconds. Another is that I found a tach dash from the same model C-60 that came with a diesel that has a 4000 RPM tach (gassers had a 5000) and I'm working on putting a boost gauge in the factory cluster and using a vacuum gauge face and making it look like it came that way. The pics below are of my tach and photoshop of the what I want the boost gauge to look like (well, close any way, the letters aren't quite right).