Thread: GM eyes selling truck business to Isuzu

Default GM eyes selling truck business to Isuzu

GM 'eyes selling truck business to Japan's Isuzu'

" TOKYO (AFP) - Struggling General Motors Corp. is talking to Isuzu Motors about selling its truck business,
    in what would mark the first Japanese takeover of a business from the US Big Three, a report said Friday."

"GM is also believed to be considering selling part of stake in DMAX Ltd., an existing joint venture with
    Isuzu making diesel engines, so that the Japanese company's share would rise from 40 to 50 percent, the report said."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080919...gsp626YPqyBhIF
    Bill
    03 2500HD D/A CC/SB/4WD,OilGuard, MegaFilter,LiftPump/PreFilter, Bilsteins,RetraxRollTop,J&J Boards,Coolant Filter,AlliDeepPan,FastIdle,AllHeadLightsOn,
    98 K3500 6.5,SOLD

Thanks for the link!

There seems to be some ambiguity in the story. GM did sell its medium-duty truck lines a while back, but there hasn't been any rumors that I've heard about its light-truck lines. Might be, I dont know.

I do know that for most of the past two decades, the light-truck platform is where most of GM's profit has been. This includes light trucks as well as SUV's built on the light truck platform.

The recent GM news about its 2010 6.9L Duramax has been circulating for a while. This new engine, aside from gaining cubic inches, also gains in power and torque - up to 700 lb-ft, or so I've read. It's also getting urea injection to reduce NOx.

I suspect growing the engine allows for the engine to meet the emissions regs a little easier. The Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions regulations call for essentially "no emissions".

Personally, I've felt for a long time that GM was missing the boat by not concentrating on fuel economy more so than power. In today's economic and petroleum markets, fuel economy plays bigger than power/tq. GM has long needed to forgo the power competition and begin offering class leading fuel economy - or rather fuel economy in a class by itself. Being the leader in fuel economy would sell more trucks and SUVs than having the most power. Just my opinion....

Jim

I think GM's deal to sell the med dutys fell through.
    1998 6.5 2500 4X4 dynatrac pro 60, ARB, 35"BFG's
    06 D Max Express 5"MBRP EFI live

Default 6.9

Having read the post, I went to the almighty alter of google and checked it out. Found one forum in which a GM Tech claimed to have checked out a D-Max 6.9 twin turbo with the Allison.
    The rest that I read was claims of 425hp/700+tq and a 8 speed tranny???
    If the above was true, my next truck would be that one.
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

2002 Camaro L36/M49- Killed In Action

1995 HD2500 - 4X4, NV4500 rc/lb, GL4, Turbo, exhaust

1994 HD2500- 4X4, NV4500, ec/lb

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
    I think GM's deal to sell the med dutys fell through.
    You are correct, it did fall through.
    2016 GMC SLT 2500 CC 4x4 Duramax All Terrain 59K
    1995 GMC 2500 EC 4x4 6.5TD,236K,Custom Tuning,HX40W-II turbo,Amsoil Bypass Filter,KD Exhaust,FSD Cooler,KD Headlight booster,Hi-cap Cooling
    TDP member #14