Thread: DiabloSport for LB7

Default DiabloSport for LB7

I bought a used Diablosport 'Predator' LB7 programmer on Ebay a few years back, not realizing the the sellers claims were false that it would work on my truck without being VIN-unlocked.

After losing a month getting it from the seller, and to/from Diablosport in the mail and paying an additional $90 to have it VIN-unlocked, I used it on the 40-hp tow setting on my 2001 K2500. It worked okay, but had a tendancy to 'surge' slightly on cruise control. No mileage increase, but it did keep the truck from downshifting uneccessarily towing in hilly conditions. My overall reaction? 7.5 on a 10 scale. The ease of installation and ability to read and reset SES light is a big part of this overall reaction. The tune is rough around the edges.

Some many months after selling the '01 truck, I again mailed the unit back to Diablosport and paid yet another $90 to VIN-unlock it. I then used it on the tow setting with my 2004 Kodiak. However, the cruise control surge was still there, and way more noticeable. I attributed it to the lower gear ratios.

Recently, the unit quit working altogether due to a broken wire, right where the cord enters the handheld unit. I then contacted Diablosport online, requested yet another RMA.

After 48 hours - I received this email:

We can inspect your U7180 for you however to update the unit to the latest 9r03 revision the unit would require a hardware update which is not yet available to the public. Warranty will always cover software updates however hardware updates are not covered under warranty so there would be a fee involved which I do not know yet. If you would like to send your Predator in for repairs please follow the instructions below. Thank you.

Please send your DiabloSport product in with a copy of your receipt showing the unit was purchased to avoid being charged $99.95 for non-warranty repairs. The turn around time is 7-10 days on average (not including shipping time). Please ship the Product to the following address making sure the RMA number is CLEARLY on the outside of the package. If the RMA is not on the outside of the box the package will be refused.

WTF? A shipping, generally available software revision level requires hardware that is not yet available? Sounds like some serious bull**** to me. So, my unit is now broken AND obsolete...

A good company would charge another $99, and send you an new unit with the latest software revision...for being a good repeat customer.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Good news, after a second inquiry...anyone with the older DiabloSport may want to follow up and get into new hardware and the latest software revisions...

Oddly enough...for only $99

<<<<<<

RE: RMA from Mark Rinker about product U7180 on 10-22-2008 11:10:20 (autogenerated)‏From:Brian K (brian@diablosport.com)Sent:Wed 11/05/08 8:35 AMTo: Mark Rinker (mark_rinker@hotmail.com)

Effective October 29th 2008 DiabloSport has established a Hardware Upgrade Policy

Ladies and gentlemen, we are pleased to announce a new service from Diablosport. We are now offering the option to upgrade your older Predator for Ford or GM to the latest hardware, which will support the latest revisions and the new features that come with those updates.

This upgrade is for current owners of older GM Class 2 Predators (revision 1.XX or 2.XX) such as the U7198, U7193, U7195, U7192 or U7180 and U7185, which are not internet updateable, and for current owners of Ford Predator models U7142, U7158 and U7170.

The GM upgrade will include an update to the latest revision available for your part number. This will add functionality to the Predator and will allow it to log high speed data, hold up to 5 custom tunes, and make it internet updateable so you can update it from your PC.
    The upgrade for Ford Predators will allow older Predators to use the latest 9rXX revisions and will allow them to support 5 custom tunes and use our Data viewer software for log playback or live streaming.

This upgrade is being offered for $99 plus shipping.

In order for a tool to be eligible for this upgrade program, the vehicle must first be returned to stock.
    Any tool shipped that is still locked to any vehicle will be charged an additional $50 unlock fee.

If you choose to take advantage of this hardware upgrade please follow the instructions below.

>>>>>>
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali

That is good news!

I've always liked the Predator above the other programmers because of its ability to display hundreds of real-time engine data. That plus the ability to read/reset trouble codes makes this a powerful diagnostic tool - irrespective of its ability to add power....

My truck has always been "too busy" when using cruise control and a power tune, while running unloaded. I've used the Predator, Edge Juice, Bully Dog, VanAaken and EFI-Live to add power at various times. All of them were/are a bit twitchy when using cruise control. "Busy" is defined as overshoot/undershoot, constant hunting in speed, especially if there are any slight inclines/declines or a headwind. I always run the stock tune while running unloaded because of this.

However, put a trailer on behind the truck, and the added mass dampens the "busy" throttle to a point that I don't notice it. I have the most towing experience with a VanAaken set on its 70-hp setting (adds 50 RWHP). I like this one a lot for towing.

Jim

Agreed on the Predator, overall a 'good' product. Support issues and upgrades can be a hassle, regardless of programmer brand. I am looking forward to receiving the new hardware/tune that is certified for the C4500.

The basic LB7 tune surged, both on my 2001 K2500 and more noticeably on the 2004 C4500. I think this 'surge' is the 'hunting' you describe, when on cruise control.

Kennedy's custom ECM tune for the LB7 doesn't hunt or surge at all on cruise control, loaded or empty, on tow tune or performance tune settings. If it came in the handheld package with the features of the Predator...now that would be a great thing!

JK, have you ever offered your LB7 tune as a custom downloadable tune for Diablosport users? I'd gladly be your first C4500 customer!