Thread: Fuel injection pump or injector?

Lightbulb Fuel injection pump or injector?

My father & I have a unreliable 1995 GMC 1500 4x4 pick up with only 166500km.We replaced 3 times the injection fuel pump, 1 time 8 injector nozzles & yesterday the turbocharger.We replace the turbo because it was very noisy & black smoke at pipe.Now there is no power,lots of black smoke ,engine stalls,maximum speed is 60 km/h.Engine starts normally,a tic tic noise from injection pump or injector I guess.My question:
    HOW CAN WE VERIFY IF THE FUEL INJECTION PUMP IS DEFECTIVE OR THE INJECTION NOZZLES?I say it is some injection nozzle but my father says it is the injection pump.Please a method of diagnostic .

Scan check it for trouble codes first!!!! and let us know what codes are in PCM
    Ron
    rhsub 99K2500 suburban 6.5 code F,4L80, 4:10, FSD cooler, DSG oil cooler and lines, Dtech FSD, injectors, Isspro egt, trans and boost guages, Bilistein shocks

Default Fuel injection pump replaced

We replaced the fuel injection pump today with a rebuilt one 1000$ the injector nozzle have been checked by a diesel shop & all are ok.Turbo rebuilt last week.
    STILL LOTS OF BLACK SMOKE & NO POWER.Unpluged EGR no effect.What's the problem please?No code

Restricted intake to turbo
    Vacuum system; should have 15-20 in of vac at turbo wastegate at idle
    Stuck or malfuncting egr system
    Intake manifold plugged with soot from egr
    Plugged exhaust
    Is turbo spooling up?
    Is wastegate functing properly? Did you install a rebuilt or a used turbo
    Is it a vin "S" or "F" engine 8th digit of vin
    Let us know
    Ron
    rhsub 99K2500 suburban 6.5 code F,4L80, 4:10, FSD cooler, DSG oil cooler and lines, Dtech FSD, injectors, Isspro egt, trans and boost guages, Bilistein shocks

It sounds like the Wastegate is in the fail (open) position. Check the Wastegate Solenoid for proper operation. It should be located on the top rear, drivers-side of your engine with 2 vacuum lines running to it. Are you getting vacuum there? The Vacuum Pump should be operational of course. The good news is that if it is the Wastegate Solenoid, it is not a real pricey part to replace. Boost gauge? If so, what is your boost pressure at cruise and load?
    Doug

1994 6.5TD 2500 4X4 Suburban, Banks Exhaust, K&N Filter, 200K +

Vacuum at vacuum pump 28 Hg
    vacuum at wastegate actuator 15+_
    No engine light,no code.,new turbo,new IP,Good injectors,new fuel filter.new air cleaner,intake cleaned,EGR OK,exhaust system not clogged.
    The actuator rod do not fully comes back,the vacuum section works but the spring loaded is weak or broken.I read on the GM manual shop the waste gate rod must fully come back.I am not certain which part the actuator or the wastegate valve is faulty.
    I hold the waste gate fully push to the firewall & smoke was almost inexistant.If I pull the wastegate valve to the front of engine,It smoke like hell.I will replace the wastegate actuator tomorrow & see.
    Thank you for all I'm getting confident.

Default Impossible to fix

Try a new wastegate actuator,same problem,lots of smoke & the wastegate valve do not close.does the actuator have a spring loaded to push back the wastegate vale?Could someone check on his engine if the wastegate valve is fully closed at idle?
    New IP,injectors OK,new turbo,28hg vacuum at pump,15hg at actuator wastegate at idle,Lots of smoke,no power,no code

The wastegate should be fully closed at idle and hard to move by hand.
    Don
    1993 6.5 3500 DWR Ext Cab
    205,000 miles, GM-8 turbo, 3" downpipe,
    straight exhaust to duals, '97 Airbox,
    fabb'd mech boost controller, 1/4 turnup on 4911, triple gauges

Is the engine consuming any oil....
    Thinking of oil fom the Turbo blowing thru the bearing, and in to the exhaust..
    New sub. 1996 6.5 ls 1500.
    1994 Suburban K2500HD. 6,5 TD 251 000km. sold
    3,5 inch exhaust, no cat.
    Marine injectors. Removed snorkle
    opened intake plenum. 3 gauge pillar. EGT.Turbo.Tranny temp. Fsd Cooler, resistor nr 9.
    Top mounted Air to Air intercooler. Kennedy Turbo master

intercooler is installed.
    look in: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=37313

Quote Originally Posted by daustin View Post
    The wastegate should be fully closed at idle and hard to move by hand.
    Don
    Where is the close position of the wastegate?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by kidcharger View Post
    Where is the close position of the wastegate?
    Forward. It should be very difficult to move it by hand (most folks can't) if enough vacuum is present (15" Hg) and the actuator is healthy.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Appling vacuum closes the wastegate, no vacuum the exhaust pressure in the turbo will open the wastegate.
    Ron

Change the air filter. A dirty filter will collapse the rubber duct from the air cleaner to the turbo intake.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.

Red face Mysterious fix

Problem huge black smoke,no power 1995 6.5 TD 180600km, S engine
    Replaced Injection pump,coded for solenoid
    Replaced turbo,noisy & bearing worn
    injectors checked
    intake manifold cleaned,EGR checked,EGR + waste gate checked,26 Hg at pump.15 Hg at waste gate actuator,no vacuum leak,waste gate free when engine off,closed at idle,rod stiff at idle
    no DTC,no engine light on dash.
    Since I did not have any DTC,I suspected the PCM did not communicate to dash.I begin to unplug EGR solenoid,no light,waste gate solenoid,no light,then MAP sensor,Engine light on & no more smoke.I rev the engine still no smoke.Went for a test drive,Perfect,no smoke & good power.Bought & replaced MAP sensor(the one screw on the firewall)& truck run like new.
    Truck for sale!Too complicated to fix & too expensive to fix

Unhappy Omg

Of course it's expensive to fix if you just start throwing parts at it???

This is a perfect example of no patience and not listening.
    02 Chevy CCSB D/A, PPE Tuner, MBRP 4"
    95 Chevy k2500 6.5td mostly stock.
    95 Chevy C3500HD Dump box 6.5td 4" exhaust.
    85 K20, 6.2, T400, Bone Stock.
    85 K10 Blazer, 6.2 performance rebuild, 700r4.
    97 VW Jetta TDI, PP520 Nozzles = Fun 2 Drive.
    85 VW Golf 1.6 Diesel, 5 speed.

Default Parts

Just need to look at the location of the truck.....
    Sorry, my Western seperatist side coming out.
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

2002 Camaro L36/M49- Killed In Action

1995 HD2500 - 4X4, NV4500 rc/lb, GL4, Turbo, exhaust

1994 HD2500- 4X4, NV4500, ec/lb